Toy LiPo battery storage

ProfEngr

I'm not going to be using my Dromida for a few weeks due to weather, time, etc. I'd charged up both 1S 700mAh packs and placed them in a LiPo "safe" bag prior to this. Is there anything I need to do to make them 'behave' while collecting a little dust, as they say? TIA.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Prof'

Go ahead and fly them both down to where they need a charge and store them like that. LiPo packs do not do well when in storage with a full charge. In the discharged state there will be less need for the LiPo bag but go ahead and use it anyway if you have it.

F

fengshuidrone

The recommended way to store a lipo is at half charge. The chemicals in the battery become unstable when left in either the fully charged, or uncharged state for too long. The batteries that you buy are shipped at half charge for this reason. The recommended way to render a lipo safe is to fully drain all cells to zero using a twelve volt light bulb or similar device designed specifically to do this. After there is no charge in the battery and it has been confirmed, then the battery may be disposed of in the trash.

ProfEngr

Ok. Thanks. I'll fly around for a couple of minutes then put em back in the bag. I'm not really sure of a good way to verify half charge on these.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
most of the time when you get a 3.3volt warning during flight the voltage will recover to 3.7 after sitting for a minute and that is about what they store them at after manufacture. if you fly them to the first low voltage indication and then stop they'll probably be pretty close to optimum.
Over the winter get yourself a few of these t0 have on hand for checking battery condition before every flight. I buy them 6 or 8 at a time, they're light enough and definitely loud enough to fly along on the heli for a secondary voltage warning although you won't be able to use them in flight with your 1 cell batteries for the Ominus.

As I wrote that last sentence I realized you won't be able to use these monitors as they are 2S minimum but they're good to know about for your next build!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__74024__HobbyKing_8482_Lipo_Voltage_Checker_2S_8S_.html