Totally stumped with Naza Controller - Possible Lemon?

Helijib

Hi Folks,
Been working all day to try to set this Naza controller up and am totally stumped and would love some feedback.

My problem is that I can only get Motor #1 to run. I used the set up assistant, have that all dialed...
I've tested each esc and motor pair by plugging them separately into the throttle channel of the RX and they all work that way.

I think it's all set up correctly, but I know how it goes, something could be wrong somewhere...
any help would be awesome.

Setup is Xaircraft 650, Avroto Short Shaft Motors, Naza controller and Spectrum AR6200.

Thanks so much for any input.

Helijib

Thanks guys for the responses. Here's a photo of the Naza.
Thanks for checking it out. I can get tighter shots if that helps.
I'm using Turnigy Plush 25A esc's.
Thanks

View attachment 2714

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 431

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The Naza seems to have some issues with the Turnigy Plush ESCs, no idea why as they're made in the same factory as Hobbywing and the only real difference is the label and maybe some slight tweaks to the firmware. I have a Naza on my small APV quad that had previously been flying with a WKM controller, 925 kv motors and Turnigy Plush 18 amp ESCs. The motors would not start with the factory Plush ESCs when hooked to the Naza controller. It wasn't until I reflashed the firmware with SimonK's fast PWM firmware that I was able to get them to work, you may be experiencing the same problem I did.

If you have some other ESCs on hand, try putting one or two in place of the Turnigys and see if those motors start on command. If they do you have two options, replace the Turnigys with something else known to work, or reflash them with the fast PWM firmware.

Ken

GGoodrum

The reason some ESCs have a problem arming, a lot of the time, when used with a MR FC, is because the ESC firmware expects to see a valid signal on the servo line from the receiver right away, and if it doesn't it will fault. Most FCs, like the Naza/WK-M, take a few seconds to boot up, and start outputting valid throttle signals. One way around this is to have a separate power plug for the ESCs, so that you can power up the Naza/WK-M first, and then plug in the ESCs.

-- Gary

Helijib

Hi Gary,
I'm starting to understand and really appreciate your time. So do you recommend this, I create y adapter harness that comes off the lipo and has two connections...
One to the esc's and one to the Naza Versatile Unit wires. So each time I power up, I plug one connector coming off the y harness to the plug going to the Naza Versatile Unit and the other plug into the esc's.
Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Helijib

Oh Boy. It still isn't working, can't believe it.

When I plug in the lipo the Naza Versatile Unit fires up gives me four green blinks then blinks yellow at the same speed. Then I connect the esc's...
Motor 3 and 4 run perfect, motor 1 and 2 just sit and beep at each other!

Not sure what is going on!!!

Thanks Gary for the help!!!!

viawave77

Do you have the red light in the NAZA?

I have the exact syntom, I power up first the NAZA with a second batt, so I wait 30 sec, for power the ESC, so acording other guys, this wil let arm the motors, but I think that ocures something different in our case, because, we have this yellow blink of the led, just after flashing light of power up self test, reference the manual that is broken Tx link, but that cant be , because testing with the assitance I can calibrate without problems and the sticks move the green dots of movement calibrating control. But what is the meaning of a red light on the NAZA flight control?, the one that turns on when the NAZA gets the firmware, for me stays on , is that a bad sign?
Regards

FOX222

If it continues to blink yellow I'll bet your fail safe settings are no correct. The box with the "A" and then the "M" should turn blue when you toggle your switch not the center where it says "Failsafe".

FOX222

Oh Boy. It still isn't working, can't believe it.

When I plug in the lipo the Naza Versatile Unit fires up gives me four green blinks then blinks yellow at the same speed. Then I connect the esc's...
Motor 3 and 4 run perfect, motor 1 and 2 just sit and beep at each other!

Not sure what is going on!!!

Thanks Gary for the help!!!!

Are you using Tunigy Plush ESC's? If you are they won't work without a firmware change.

viawave77

Failsafe box is blue. Yes I am using turnigy plush 25 I didnt know about change firmware, you mean firmware of ESC?? how do I do that, sir?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Are you using Tunigy Plush ESC's? If you are they won't work without a firmware change.

I did find a way to make them work but it's a PITA to have to do it everytime you want to fly. It requires an auxiliary power source for the Naza and RX with a switch to turn it on and off, an RX battery pack works OK for this, you can plug it in then unplug it afterward. Plug in the main battery in and power everything up, turn on the aux power and unplug the main battery, wait a few seconds and then plug the main battery in again and the ESCs should now intialize, turn off/disconnect the aux power and go fly, repeat for every flight. It's the only reliable way I found to make them work every time, anything else they might all start, or a couple might start, or you might get some odd flashes from the LED unit and nothing else.

I found it easier to reflash the ESCs or just replace them outright with something that works.

Ken

FOX222

Failsafe box is blue. Yes I am using turnigy plush 25 I didnt know about change firmware, you mean firmware of ESC?? how do I do that, sir?

You need to adjust the end points in your tx so the "A" and then the "M" turn blue when you toggle your switch.

viawave77

FOX222 , Sir I sea the box blue in the middle, but the lleter A and M are gray, I move the swith in the transmitter but the arrow goes below the A or below the M, but nor of them turns blue