Thoughts on 12mm Booms

I have one of Bart's XY8, the thing is a beast, lightweight, compact, and flies great... until I made some changes.

Disclaimer: Bart's Machine is solid, this is in reference to my own modifications.

I 3D printed a wire-based vibration isolator and connected a Cinestar-style three axis gimbal to the bottom. The whole setup works like a charm with the exception of the booms hitting the gimbal on tight maneuvers. I currently have the gimbal locked in as 2-axis with the camera facing forward, and right now I am running into the bottom front props nicking the top of the 3rd axis. This isn't good for obvious reasons, and so I have ordered longer 12mm booms so as to drop them into my current frame.

The current booms have no problem handling the thrust from 12" props. My desire is to move to 15" props, and the boom length I have ordered will give plenty of clearance. My concern is as the 12mm boom gets longer, will there be an issue with flex? I will be able to answer my own question in a week or so, but until then I thought I'd ask the community if you had experience with longer 12mm booms and larger props.

One consideration is of course motor wire length, however I will be dropping in QC-3328's with extra long leads that I have had shelved for far too long.

12mm? are you sure? I use 22mm on mine. Solid! I don't think they are too heavy. 2814 tiger motors. 12mm sounds awfully narrow. But I tend to overbuild as well. Even my little quad uses 22mm. I need to lengthen mine for my big gimbal as well. Those pesky legs that stick out. Retracts would be nice.

View attachment 14556

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 220