Thinkng about upgrading the motors on my phantom v1.1.1

talunceford

Hey all,

I have a few questions that need to be answered before I can move forward with my project. Any help is very much appreciated.

Ok, I have been thinking about upgrading the motors on my phantom to some other model of T motor. There are several out there, but one question comes to mind. What is the deciding factor for the choice in motors? Do you just go with the recommendation of T motor with the box set of white 2214's or do you go even further into your decision with looking into actual thrust to weight ratios? Currently, with the setup I have, the bird is pushing 1250 grams, that is with prop guards, fpv, gimbal, 2800mAh batt etc. If I pull the guards off, it saves me nearly 80 grams of weight. That is fine, but still being kinda new, I like having them on there. So one of my thoughts is to look into the white set and see if I can find out what the specs are OR look into the tmotor mt2216 kv1100's. I see quite a few people use the 2216 kv800 or the kv900's but, I haven't read about too many people using the kv1100's. If you look at the specs it would make more sense to use the kv1100 on the phantom for the simple fact that they are designed to spin anything from an 8" prop up to 12". I just purchased some cf 9" gemfan props and by the way it looks it would make the most sense to use the kv1100s with the 9" props because of the amount of thrust they produce in that combination. I guess another question I should ask, is whether or not the stock speed controllers will handle the stress. I do know that with the combination of the 9" props and the kv1100 motors the system seems to me to be more efficient, but I could be reading everything wrong too.

Let me know if I am on the right track or smoking something funny here LOL!

Thanks for the advice and the help,

Tim