The GoPro 3 (& 3+) Repository, everything (eventually) you'll need to know!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi everyone,

Been reading up on GoPro's lately and thought it would be helpful to start a central repository for useful GoPro links.

So to start things off, how about a link to the official GoPro manuals download page??

GoPro Manuals Download Page

GoPro 3 & 3+ Firmware Updates

GoPro Studio
GoPro Studio software makes it easier than ever to create professional-quality videos with your GoPro content. We’ve taken our most popular videos and turned them into GoPro Edit Templates that help fast-track you to an incredible edit. The music, edit points, slow motion effects and more have been dialed—all you have to do is replace our video clips with yours. Or if you want to create your edits from scratch, you can do that too. Trim and mix clips. Adjust video playback speed for fast or slow motion. Add titles, music, audio tracks and more. It’s never been easier to make epic GoPro-style videos to share with your friends.

• New GoPro Edit Templates make it easy to create GoPro-style videos
  • New Trim, edit and mix video clips
  • New Add titles, music, audio tracks and more
  • New Fisheye adjustment control
  • New Adjust video playback speed for fast or slow motion
  • New Export video still frames at full resolution
  • Create videos from time-lapse photo sequences
  • Edit immersive 3D videos (requires 3D HERO System, sold separately)
  • Supports GoPro, Canon[SUP]®[/SUP], Nikon[SUP]®[/SUP] and other constant frame rate H.264 mp4 and .mov formats

GoPro Smartphone App
The GoPro App makes it easy to control your camera, and lets you do more with your GoPro content than ever before. Get full remote control of all camera functions. See what your camera sees with live preview for easy shot-framing. View photos and play back videos, then share your favorites via email, text, Instagram[SUP]™[/SUP], Facebook[SUP]®[/SUP] and more.[SUP]1[/SUP]

• Full remote control of all camera functions
  • newPreview video in near real-time with up to 4x faster[SUP]2[/SUP] live video preview for HERO3+ cameras
  • newView photos and play back videos[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • newCopy photos and videos[SUP]1[/SUP] to your device, then share via email, text, Instagram[SUP]™[/SUP], Facebook[SUP]®[/SUP] or other app
  • newBrowse and delete files on the camera's memory card
  • newUpdate your camera's Wi-Fi network name and password

Intro video courtesy of GoPro

Let's post the best reviews, the best tutorials, the best tips, the best of everything people are using to make their GoPro footage the best possible.

Thanks!
Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Thanks Bart! JUST what I am certain many of us are looking for! I'll be purchasing a GoPro in the next few months and appreciate you posting this!

kloner

Aerial DP
one of my favorite products, the polar pro filters. i usually always use the naked circular polarizer, money, blue skies and glare free water along with doubles as a decent lens protector...

http://www.polarprofilters.com

Bartman

thanks for posting that kloner. i've noticed with my GoPro 3 that the land and buildings look great but the sky can look like it's being electrified....that filter will probably balance that out.....for $19 it's worth a try.

great tip, thanks!

bart

kloner

Aerial DP
i go naked,all these hero based rigs only fit em that way. The nd helps tune down, the cp brings that blue up to bluer.... this was today, first flight on a hero3+ black with the polar pro cp

Another cool product is the ribcage back bone lens conversion.... http://www.back-bone.ca money

Bartman

I've been looking for videos to post here and while there's a lot out there, not all are really helpful. Here's one I found that discusses the Protune feature.

Thanks for those suggestions Kloner.

Bartman

is that premier? this is the gopro studio software with the protune profiles by panavision

http://gopro.com/support/cineform-studio-software-support

Yes, it looks like he's using Adobe Premier. It's pretty cool though that GoPro provides a free video processing software. I've been told it also has a fisheye removal tool but I haven't tried it yet.

At first it seems like Protune is a feature to use if you want pro results but it's actually a setting that makes it possible to do more in post-processing by not doing the processing at the camera as the images are being captured. I haven't used the camera that much yet but it makes sense now after watching that video.

Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
it records raw to allow for better post. All the pro stuff does that. pita for a guy like me without an eas to apply button like the go pro studio does.... i gave up using protune with the black, just do 2.7k wide, 24fps, filter

but to mix it with other cameras, protune helps it mix better, raw white balance too

Bartman

bought one of each of those two filters....will give them a try as soon as the temps go back over 25 or so! (please don't tell me how it's 80 in San Diego! :) ) a realtor called to ask if i'm shooting tomorrow....right! it's going to be like ten degrees and windy as hell!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Okay so I have done the focus adjustment on my GP3BE+, gave me back infinity focus, hugely improved result.

Av8Chuck

Nice Stuff. Is that a huge improvement over the stock 3+? How much of an improvement do you think this is over the previous BE3?

A friend told me about a remaining Hero3BE at BestBuy just after Christmas. The sales guy couldn't believe there was one left and they where just starting a sale, which he didn't see any reason that the Hero 3BE shouldn't be a part of so I got it for something like $259.

I'll probably wait for the Hero4 before I buy another but its nice to see that for those that have the Hero3+ there's a fix for the focus issue. Was it diddifult or expensive to do?

kuau

So I just did my first test flight with my new 3+ Black Edition.
I basically setup my GoPro using these settings:

http://cineform.blogspot.com

I am flying a modified DJI F450, with extension arms Avroto M2814's, Graupner 11x5 props, WKM and Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal and 4S 6200maH Lipo.
Flight time average around 12 minutes weight is about 2100 grams all in.

View attachment 17550

So anyways the video looked good until about the 8 minute mark, I started getting horizantal lines, not sure what is causing it, glare, vibration, etc.
So I assume I either have to get a PolarPro ND filter or there Polarizer filter. Any recommendations?

Here is the video clip check out at about 16 seconds into flight.

Steven

Attachments

• WP_20140331_008.jpg
    WP_20140331_008.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 176

Av8Chuck

That's the props casting a shadow on the lens. You can use a lens hood or tilt down slightly if you have to shoot into the sun.

kuau

That's the props casting a shadow on the lens. You can use a lens hood or tilt down slightly if you have to shoot into the sun.

Newbie alert....
Thanks Av8Chuck.
So I need a hood... Hmm I will have to look around.
In your humble opinion is getting a ND or Polarizer necessary then?

Bartman

....................I'll probably wait for the Hero4 before I buy another but its nice to see that for those that have the Hero3+ there's a fix for the focus issue. Was it diddifult or expensive to do?

Chuck,
I changed out a lens on a Hero1 and it wasn't too difficult to do. I mention this because I found the lens had thread locker on it so it took a bit of a shove to get it moving but once it started turning it was easy to work on. If people are saying it's doable then I'd say go for it.
Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
the best fix for hero3+ with a focus issue is to contact go pro and get a new one that is focused.... to properly get the lens loose, your suppose to completely strip down the camera....

things that happen, dust on sensor, loose screws or strip holes.... can break the ribbon cables..... can scratch the sensor so be careful if you dive in.... hero3 needs a .9mm alen driver, 3+ is a micro phillips head screw

I've changed out 4x hero 3 and 3+ lenses and did a ribcage backbone mod..... places get $200-$300 in labor to open these up and loosen a lens..... it takes an hd monitor and a micro hdmi cable to get this thing to a monitor big enough to set focus with

Bartman

the best fix for hero3+ with a focus issue is to contact go pro and get a new one that is focused.... to properly get the lens loose, your suppose to completely strip down the camera....

things that happen, dust on sensor, loose screws or strip holes.... can break the ribbon cables..... can scratch the sensor so be careful if you dive in.... hero3 needs a .9mm alen driver, 3+ is a micro phillips head screw

I've changed out 4x hero 3 and 3+ lenses and did a ribcage backbone mod..... places get $200-$300 in labor to open these up and loosen a lens..... it takes an hd monitor and a micro hdmi cable to get this thing to a monitor big enough to set focus with

well, there you go!