The downfall of using a rectilinear (5.4mm) lens/gopro

Pumpkinguy

Overall I am happy with the lens but like most things in life there are trade offs.

Here is a good example of the biggest issue with switching out the stock lens.

alvinl

I was about to make the purchase of the 5.4 lens - thanks for posting this.

I'm wondering if the brand or source of lens would make a difference.

Where did you get yours from?

rupP

A circular polarizing filter will have minimal effect at removing that kind of flare,ie. directly toward the sun.
The 5.4 lens has a narrower field of view so tailoring as long a lens hood as possible to shade the lens/filter will clean up some of that flare. Your lens and filters need to be meticulously clean as shooting this close to the sun is going to show up any issues, in particular, the quality of the glass and the ability of the lens to damp periferal light- which is what flare is.
The lower the quality of the lens, the more need for a lens hood!
Great to see distortion free images :)

Pumpkinguy

I was about to make the purchase of the 5.4 lens - thanks for posting this.

I'm wondering if the brand or source of lens would make a difference.

Where did you get yours from?

Word on the street is that most vendors selling this type of lens all sell the same one. Chinese made cctv lens probably worth $10. I paid $150 for mine and a friend paid $300 for his from a big name place. They look the same to me and he has the same problems I do.

Mauronic

Just installed mine on a GP 3 black. Look at the sky. Nothing to compare it to unfortunately so not sure if it's the lens or the camera. Sun is ~ 30 - 45 degrees to my right.

Pumpkinguy

I've switched back To the stock lens. I hate the side effects of the 5.4. And btw you shot that video in the shade. Lol

fltundra

Last edited by a moderator: