Tarot Hexacopter 680 build

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
I'm well into the process of building my first Hex.

So far I have..
  • Tarot Iron-man 680 hex frame (all carbon version)
  • APM 2.6 with ublox and telemetry
  • 9 ch Spektrum rx to match my Dx7s (9 ch was cheap online)
  • a 10A Bec (not sure if I'll need it, or what for, but I needed something similar on my F450 so what the hell)

on order ..

I'm still plotting and ordering so obviously there are some gaps in the list above. I have some other various parts for construction, wires, connectors, and other fiddly small electronics. I plan to put a GoPro on it and am starting to shop for a gimble.

I'll post some pics soon and would welcome some feedback/recommendations.

austcoll

I'm well into the process of building my first Hex.

So far I have..
  • Tarot Iron-man 680 hex frame (all carbon version)
  • APM 2.6 with ublox and telemetry
  • 9 ch Spektrum rx to match my Dx7s (9 ch was cheap online)
  • a 10A Bec (not sure if I'll need it, or what for, but I needed something similar on my F450 so what the hell)

on order ..

I'm still plotting and ordering so obviously there are some gaps in the list above. I have some other various parts for construction, wires, connectors, and other fiddly small electronics. I plan to put a GoPro on it and am starting to shop for a gimble.

I'll post some pics soon and would welcome some feedback/recommendations.

Hi

I am going t omake the same Hexacopter, using APM 2.6 and Tarot 680, I am using 880kv motors with 30A ESCs, have you had any luck yet or still doing research, I love to hear about your project.
Thanks
Mitchell

austcoll

Hi

I am going to make the same Hexacopter, using APM 2.6 and Tarot 680, I am using 880kv motors with 30A ESCs, have you had any luck yet or still doing research, I love to hear about your project.
Thanks
Mitchell

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Yes, actually, I have the whole thing put together and did my first motor test with props on the other day. I have been so busy building that I have forgotten to update here.

I'm pretty happy with the results and it seems to have a ridiculous amount of power tethered to 2 cinder-blocks in my driveway. I'll see if I have a photo to upload and I'll try to get more up this weekend.

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories

Attachments

• CAM00464.jpg
    CAM00464.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 492

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
I still need to sort out how I'm going to mount the batteries and set my radio up better but everything is working.

austcoll

I still need to sort out how I'm going to mount the batteries and set my radio up better but everything is working.

That looks great, I love to see more photos and specially lots of close ups.
Have you got APM 2.6 on it, I have ordred mine but I am still waiting for it.
By the way which gimbal you are going for? I have ordered one of this, wonder how good it is, it seems like a solid one but I am still thinking of how to connect it to the radio and APM.
http://www.rctimer.com/product_872.html

Please if you could upload a step by step instruction of what you have done.

Many thanks in advance
Mitchell

austcoll

By the way did you use or did you have to use any UBEC Lipoly for your battery and the ESCs?

... and are you using any FPV camera system on your copter?

[h=1][/h]

dredd0606

Interesting, I'm doing the same build using an apm 2.5, 30a hobbywing escs pre flashed with simonk firmware, and 900kv 2216 motors pushing 1245s. Going to be doing dual fpv using a board cam for flight and a gopro hero3 for filming with an av switch between them

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
That looks great, I love to see more photos and specially lots of close ups.
Have you got APM 2.6 on it, I have ordred mine but I am still waiting for it.
By the way which gimbal you are going for? I have ordered one of this, wonder how good it is, it seems like a solid one but I am still thinking of how to connect it to the radio and APM.
http://www.rctimer.com/product_872.html

Please if you could upload a step by step instruction of what you have done.

Many thanks in advance
Mitchell

Yes, I have a AMP 2.6 mounted on the lower plate that I think was actually intended for the battery. I haven't settled on a gimble or exactly what FPV system I'm going to run, I expect I'll do a separate FPV and camera for photo/video. I currently have a GoPro that I fly on my Quad and I might rob the FPV system off of it, not sure yet. I have the UBEC tied into the output side of the APM, and removed the Jumper. Currently it isn't powering anything really, maybe the Telemetry unit.

Actually, I think I'm leaning towards a video system like dredd0606 it is what I have on the Quad,

Dredd, can you link one of thoes A/V switches?

dredd0606

Yes, I have a AMP 2.6 mounted on the lower plate that I think was actually intended for the battery. I haven't settled on a gimble or exactly what FPV system I'm going to run, I expect I'll do a separate FPV and camera for photo/video. I currently have a GoPro that I fly on my Quad and I might rob the FPV system off of it, not sure yet. I have the UBEC tied into the output side of the APM, and removed the Jumper. Currently it isn't powering anything really, maybe the Telemetry unit.

Actually, I think I'm leaning towards a video system like dredd0606 it is what I have on the Quad,

Dredd, can you link one of thoes A/V switches?

As requested: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/R-C-Controlled-Dual-Video-Switch-2-Way.html

Basically, you fly with the board cam, switch to loiter, flip to the go pro, and use your gimbal or copter to line up your shot, then flip back to the board cam for fpv flight. Only additional weight is the board cam and the switch, both are pretty minimal.

So far my frame and motors have arrived, escs should be here this week, fpv board cam and transmitter should be here the week after. All my parts should (hopefully) be in by the end of this month.

Last edited by a moderator:

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
As requested: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/R-C-Controlled-Dual-Video-Switch-2-Way.html

Basically, you fly with the board cam, switch to loiter, flip to the go pro, and use your gimbal or copter to line up your shot, then flip back to the board cam for fpv flight. Only additional weight is the board cam and the switch, both are pretty minimal.

So far my frame and motors have arrived, escs should be here this week, fpv board cam and transmitter should be here the week after. All my parts should (hopefully) be in by the end of this month.

Yup, ordering one of those. Nice, Thanks!

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
View attachment 12807View attachment 12808View attachment 12809View attachment 12810View attachment 12811View attachment 12812View attachment 12813Ok here's a few pics, I have everything together and packed tight so it is kinda hard to make out what I have done without disassembling everything. I haven't finalized my Battery layout yet so I have a temporary battery lead on one side and the stubs to make the other on the other side. I want to run 2 4s 4000 lipo or something similar (parallel) but need the batteries and to make the bracket/mounting/whatever for them. The battery cable stubs come out where I have mounted the UBEC and the 3DR Power management module, Hidden behind the black conduit. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 304

dredd0606

View attachment 16235View attachment 16236View attachment 16237View attachment 16238View attachment 16239View attachment 16240View attachment 16241Ok here's a few pics, I have everything together and packed tight so it is kinda hard to make out what I have done without disassembling everything. I haven't finalized my Battery layout yet so I have a temporary battery lead on one side and the stubs to make the other on the other side. I want to run 2 4s 4000 lipo or something similar (parallel) but need the batteries and to make the bracket/mounting/whatever for them. The battery cable stubs come out where I have mounted the UBEC and the 3DR Power management module, Hidden behind the black conduit. Enjoy!

Very nice looking, but two questions: why all the split loom, and why a ubec with an apm? I disabled all cut offs on my escs and use the power module for the apm to see battery levels over telemetry. I'd rather wreck my batteries and land safely than watch my quad fall from the sky cause the ubec cut off.

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
I opted to run a 12 gauge wire the full circumference of the upper plate instead of doing a PDB, it seemed like the best option for my layout. It is in a continuous circle connecting into all the ESCs and the 2 battery connections. Gives me 2 locations for getting power for add-ons, links both batteries, and eliminates the need for finding room for another board.

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Very nice looking, but two questions: why all the split loom, and why a ubec with an apm? I disabled all cut offs on my escs and use the power module for the apm to see battery levels over telemetry. I'd rather wreck my batteries and land safely than watch my quad fall from the sky cause the ubec cut off.

I didn't like the look of the power circuit and covered it up, not sure if it will stay that way but I had the wire loom on hand. I have a roll of Carbon fiber/Kevlar weave in the basement, I think I'll remove the wire loom and make a cover at some point.

My ESCs have no BEC built in so I'll need additional power for gimble servos or anything else, the APM and ESCs are powered directly off the battery. the UBEC is programmable and shouldn't cut off till the battery is completely toast.

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
The UBEC will cut out when the input voltage drops below 5V, If I'm not home by the time the battery hits 5V I'm not gonna make it anyway.

dredd0606

The UBEC will cut out when the input voltage drops below 5V, If I'm not home by the time the battery hits 5V I'm not gonna make it anyway.

Lol, if you're flying on 3s and you hit 5v, you won't be flying anyways.

Check out the 3dr telemetry radios and the 3dr apm power module. Very valuable additions to the apm.

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
I have a 3DR telemetry radio installed and working, also using the power module(installed and working). The UBEC is power for all the things that the power module can't handle.

dredd0606

I have a 3DR telemetry radio installed and working, also using the power module(installed and working). The UBEC is power for all the things that the power module can't handle.

Ah, I see. Looks awesome, can't wait to see pics/video of it in the air!

What's your AUW without batteries?