Tarot 2D Gimbal won't level out

techmyjustin

Hi all, my first post here, hopefully you can help me out with my brand new 3DR Iris, and Tarot 2D gimbal.
I power on the drone and gimbal, everything seems to work fine except the gimbal will not level the GoPro. It points it down at the same downwards, backwards angle each time.
The gimbal keeps it steady though, so if the level were better, it would be excellent.
Here is my video of what happens once I connect the battery.

I've thought about loosening the screw and just manually tightening it at the angle that would put it level, but I could imagine that giving me problems down the road. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

cootertwo

Just my opinion here, but I would not loosen or adjust anything, "yet". I have the same setup as you, and once in awhile my gimble will do something similar, like point straight down, and no movement when you turn the knob on the radio that controls the tilt. Usually a unplugging, and plugging back in will fix the problem. One time, I had the wires tangled, and didn't notice. Try taking the camera off the gimble, then examine the gimble, to see how it travels, how far, anything in the way, etc. etc. It "should" work out of the box, with the Iris+. You do have the Tarot gimble specifically for the Iris+ right?

techmyjustin

Yes, this is the model for the Iris+, or so I've been told. It's the Tarot 2D.
One more piece of the puzzle, I've never been able to get my tilt control on the remote to work. The camera does not respond to the remote control like it should.

The camera always goes to the exact same angle.

cootertwo

I wish I could be of more help. Mine did the same thing the other day, pointed straight down, and no movement when I turned the knob on the radio. I said screw it, and flew anyhow, wound up scratching the lens on my GoPro3. However, upon landing, and re-booting the Iris+, the gimble started working as normal, tilt knob and all! I find these things very similar to computer problems I've solved in the past. Usually try so many different things, when you get it going, you can't remember which "thing" it was that fixed the problem. There are a gazillion settings with both the Pixhawk in our Iris+, AND the radio they come with. Maybe start with just a simple radio calibration, see if all the sticks, switches and knobs, move accordingly. On the radio calibration, the 3 knobs show as 3 vertical bars, that go up and down depending on the position of the knob. Keep tinkering, you'll get it sorted out. I liked my Iris+ so much, I ordered a second one just for giggles! $727.18 !!!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWXY076/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old Man

Check the gimbal position set up and PID's in the Tarot controller. It may not be a good idea to be manipulating gimbal position after it's powered up. When working with the gimbal software/firmware do not power up the Tarot until after opening the software and connecting to the control card.

I have not checked but 3DR probably has a page in online Iris+ instructions that mention the correct gimbal controller settings.

techmyjustin

Thanks for the feedback. Apparently the software has a hard time working with Windows 8. I had to go to a Windows 7 machine to get the software to connect.

Old Man

I'm not surprised, I find Windows 8 difficult to work with too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjoos99

Has this issue been sorted out? I am working on a friends x8 and just mounted up the gimbal and as soon as the gimbal powers up it slowly turn down and stays down no matter what I do with the tilt knob on the controller. If I unplug the wiring from the gimbal control board it will initialize and level perfectly. I double checked the plugs connected to the control board and they are wired just as the instructions I found online. It will do this no matter how many times I try it. Anyone have any ideas?
thanks
Jeff