SunnySky motors and stock DJI F450

G'day all,

I've been flying a stock DJI F450, using a 3S 4000mah 30C battery and DJI motors and balanced DJI 10 4.7 props. I'm happy with performance; however, been reading lots of positives regarding the SunnySky motors. So, I ordered the V2216-12 800II some time ago. I recently installed the motors, confirmed the correct rotation for each motor and then installed four new balanced GemFam 10 4.5 props. I reconfirmed correct motor rotation and headed out for a test flight.

My initial stat-up started 3 of the 4 motors. I re-seated the ESC/motor connections for the suspect motor and re-initiated start-up; all four motors started and seemed to respond to the throttle normally. I usually lift off to about five feet, hover, and visually check the airframe and controls; so I did just that. While in hover and no stick movement the F450 stated to rise at a moderate rate to about 15 feet and then decent at the same rate to touch the ground. Attempting to correct with throttle worked, but again, once stabilized at five feet and hands off sticks the same process was repeated. I believe the throttle responded normally when employed and the motors sounded normal to the best of my knowledge.

The SunnySky motors come with extremely long leeds vs the stock DJI motors. I did not shorten the SunnySky leads. So, the only change from the last successful flight(with DJI motors) was the SunnySky motors with the long leads motors. Took the SunnySkys off re-soldered each and every bullet connector reinstalled and did a flight check; same as described above. I did not shorten the leeds.

Replaced the SunnySkys with the original DJI stock motors and all is well again.

So, I'm assuming I screwed up some place; long leads maybe? Is there something more one is suppose to do when changing motors other than just swap out the motors?

Any help is appreciated.

Bob

soler

I have used the same sunny sky motors on a F550 and in one case i mixed the stock DJI motors with one SunnySky, no problems with or without the long leads.

Were you using different size/ type of props with the sunnysky motors as they have a different diameter of centre pin?

G'day all,

I've been flying a stock DJI F450, using a 3S 4000mah 30C battery and DJI motors and balanced DJI 10 4.7 props. I'm happy with performance; however, been reading lots of positives regarding the SunnySky motors. So, I ordered the V2216-12 800II some time ago. I recently installed the motors, confirmed the correct rotation for each motor and then installed four new balanced GemFam 10 4.5 props. I reconfirmed correct motor rotation and headed out for a test flight.

My initial stat-up started 3 of the 4 motors. I re-seated the ESC/motor connections for the suspect motor and re-initiated start-up; all four motors started and seemed to respond to the throttle normally. I usually lift off to about five feet, hover, and visually check the airframe and controls; so I did just that. While in hover and no stick movement the F450 stated to rise at a moderate rate to about 15 feet and then decent at the same rate to touch the ground. Attempting to correct with throttle worked, but again, once stabilized at five feet and hands off sticks the same process was repeated. I believe the throttle responded normally when employed and the motors sounded normal to the best of my knowledge.

The SunnySky motors come with extremely long leeds vs the stock DJI motors. I did not shorten the SunnySky leads. So, the only change from the last successful flight(with DJI motors) was the SunnySky motors with the long leads motors. Took the SunnySkys off re-soldered each and every bullet connector reinstalled and did a flight check; same as described above. I did not shorten the leeds.

Replaced the SunnySkys with the original DJI stock motors and all is well again.

So, I'm assuming I screwed up some place; long leads maybe? Is there something more one is suppose to do when changing motors other than just swap out the motors?

Any help is appreciated.

Bob

Hotwheelsmojo

G'day all,

Any help is appreciated.

Bob

Looking for the same answer as you and found this thread - on a clone 450 frame that ran OK until installing a different Sunnysky motor ( X2212-9-KV 14000 ) i got same sudden altitude and flips and general erratic beahaviour the more i look the more i see the common denominator of possible ESC firmware and Motor incompatibility issues
For example check out this which describes the phenom.
That thread talks specifics about that motor , but its likley more widespread

Cheers
Gustav

Last edited by a moderator:

nuclear

G'day all,

Any help is appreciated.

Bob

have you tried to fly in manual mode and see if the altitude (height) is more stable ?
if so, it's simply your vertical gain that needs to be tweaked
if you change the motors KV with the same battery and prop, the gain required for stability will not necessarily be the same

if you can, set a knob on your remote to adjust gain while flying and try to increase the gain to see if it's better
/edit: little correction for phrasing since english is not my main language

Thanks for the replies. As I did use similar 10" props and the same 3s 4000mah battery, changing gains did cross my mind but I did not act on it. I changed to 9" props and got the same response. I went as far a disassembling the F450 and re-soldered every joint and then trying the SunnySky motors again, same result. Changing flight modes while "testing" did not cross my mind. I will now re-test the SunnySky motors and change flight modes.

I appreciate the replies.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
A change in KV would require a change in your gains, did you do this?

While your increase your torque with the lower KV motors, your motors spin slower hence the lower KV, this will affect how quickly your PID gains will react to the change in altitude and pitch roll and so forth. Adjust your gains to a higher level by about 10% each time until you find the sweet spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC,

Thanks for your input. It make perfect and logical sense to me. Having said that, I've been "playing" in the multi-rotor world with a stock DJI f450 for over a year and reading and participating in two different forums for longer than that. Reading all the success members achieved by upgrading motors I decided to give it a go, hence the jump to the lower than stock kv SunnySky motors. In all the reading regarding upgraded motors very little about gain changes is mentioned. On the other hand, maybe it's its such a "basic" concept it's just assumed one would know if you change motors up or down in kv you will have to readjust the gains.

Again thanks.

cheers

Bob