Suggestions on Heavy Lift build

FlyingFilmmaker

So I am fairly new to multi-rotors, and since I got into them earlier this year, I've had a blast learning about and most importantly flying them. I have my own smaller one, but i'm looking to go bigger. More specifically, something that can fly larger cameras. I am looking for some help on what would be a good build for lifting DSLR's, with the option for a RED Epic. My price range is $15K-$20K. I would also like to implement a dual operator system. A list of items for the build would be appreciated. Thank you.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
If you are investing this amount then you should start analyzing your needs first:

What load- okay you have that one done ie about 5kg for a Red with lens follow focus and power
What stabilization system- how heavy is this?
Is endurance a key point or stability (eg flying in winds) as this will determine flat or coax
Do you need a folding frame for transportability?
Are there any potential airworthiness aspects you need to consider (probably not required in the US but in the UK this is now something to consider if you are flying in congested areas with a heavy lifter).
With that done you can then start to calculate the thrust you need and from there you can start to spec your motors. escs props and power distribution
Avionics comes next I guess such as flight controller, fpv system if you are going to use one etc

If you end up flying a Red you are now going to be flying a small fortune so don't scrimp on components and get the best you can afford. Most importantly, ensure that you have full compatibility with your components especially between motors and ESCs. At this level, I would just go with whatever ESC the motor provider recommends (in most cases this will inevitably be their own but you want to be safe and not sorry with this- too many dollars are up in the air on a machine like this).

Last edited by a moderator:

FerdinandK

from my point of view it is a big difference to fly with a DSLR or something like a red. DSLR means 3-5kg payload RED means 8-10kg payload. Payload means everything on the copter, that is not needed for flying.
A copter setup for 3kg payload (1,5kg DSLR, 1kg gimbal 500gr other) means (as a rule of thumb) 3kg copter, 3kg payload 3kg battery ->9kg AUW
A copter setup for 10kg payload means (as a rule of thumb) 10kg copter, 10kg payload, 10kg battery -> 30kg AUW.
If I read your first post I assume you do not want to fly a 30kg copter, also if you are fairly new to multirotor you most likely also do not want to build a 30kg AUW copter. Have a look at similar threads here, only a few finish and post results of their flying machine (possibly all are flying that much, that there is no more time for posting here).

best regards
Ferdinand

PMaughan

from my point of view it is a big difference to fly with a DSLR or something like a red. DSLR means 3-5kg payload RED means 8-10kg payload. Payload means everything on the copter, that is not needed for flying.
A copter setup for 3kg payload (1,5kg DSLR, 1kg gimbal 500gr other) means (as a rule of thumb) 3kg copter, 3kg payload 3kg battery ->9kg AUW
A copter setup for 10kg payload means (as a rule of thumb) 10kg copter, 10kg payload, 10kg battery -> 30kg AUW.
If I read your first post I assume you do not want to fly a 30kg copter, also if you are fairly new to multirotor you most likely also do not want to build a 30kg AUW copter. Have a look at similar threads here, only a few finish and post results of their flying machine (possibly all are flying that much, that there is no more time for posting here).

best regards
Ferdinand

i agree that it's a different proposition when carrying something like a RED over a DSLR but 30kg seems a bit extreme. With a HL Skyjib,M10, RED Epic, super speed lens, and 2 10amp batteries I was coming in at around 17kg with 7min flight time.

Would recommend a Skyjib to anyone.

Pete

Carapau

Yup, you can get a very good Red lifter easily under 20kg without scrimping on safety. 30kgs is mahoosive.

jimska

i agree that it's a different proposition when carrying something like a RED over a DSLR but 30kg seems a bit extreme. With a HL Skyjib,M10, RED Epic, super speed lens, and 2 10amp batteries I was coming in at around 17kg with 7min flight time.

Would recommend a Skyjib to anyone.

Pete
What motors for that set up Pete and was it a flat 8?

jimska

Yes its a flat 8 with AXI4120/20. Old school but going strong!
Interesting, something I want to do myself but I've read in different places that some people feel the SkyJib frame isn't up to it. I was going to change my T3515-15s for U7s but was thinking the frame may not be up to it, what do you think?

Carapau

My Skyjib with U7s has worked a treat- cant see why the Skyjib wouldn't be up to it- my rig is a V1 though but I have built V2s and they are more than man enough.

PMaughan

Interesting, something I want to do myself but I've read in different places that some people feel the SkyJib frame isn't up to it. I was going to change my T3515-15s for U7s but was thinking the frame may not be up to it, what do you think?

I think they are, I mostly fly the skyjib with a lighter load and it actually feels like it's flying better when it's good and heavy. Likely just need smaller props day to day. But don't listen to me, I really don't have enough experience with other frames to be definitive, however I don't find myself worrying about the frame strength.

pete

simplyfly

May i recommend the ANGEL HD.... I designed this with RED cam systems in mind, pictured below is a system I made, using smaller motors and a BL 3-axis gimbal for full size DSLR

The design uses high end, heavy duty, uber light downhill mountain bike rims. They are incredibly strong, and in this geometric configuration, even stronger.

This frame is retractable, from 800 to 1400mm. AUW of the frame bare, is slightly over 1Kg. AUW with two 6s 5200mAH, it is well under 6Kg

Stronger, lighter, less expensive... and soon to become more available ....Have a look at the prototype, please ignore the landing gear, and imagine in its place the CF gear that is hopefully arriving any day...View attachment 21833

Attachments

• 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 337

jhardway

There are are few way to go, but if you have the money to spend and want to do it by yourself. I would build an x8 using a Tmotors 4014 330kv with 17ich prop. Its anxious however the advantage of building a copter on your own, is understanding the ins and outs of the device. When it comes down to flying these things, knowing your craft and taking your time to methodologically work your way through it all will put you in a very good spot in being a thorough operater. It teaches you to know what to look for if there is an issue, while also giving your the knowledge to fix it.

In most cases, knowing how to working or these thing is a huge advantage.

Frames, as of a x8 (coaxial set up) Tarot makes a few frame that are real nice. Actually I am in the midst making a heavy lift with Tarot new x8(The frame name is confusing but it is an 1050mm octo). The x8 is a very well made umbrella folding frame with retractable landing gear. The frame is designed to put the ESC in the arms, power distribution, and ESC wiring is fully integrated in the frames make up. This eliminate a lot of wiring while keeping the layout very clean.

Good luck in what you decide to do, but for the amount you listed in your budget, if you build it your self, you can easily save your self up to 10K.

best Jack

Av8Chuck

May i recommend the ANGEL HD.... I designed this with RED cam systems in mind, pictured below is a system I made, using smaller motors and a BL 3-axis gimbal for full size DSLR

The design uses high end, heavy duty, uber light downhill mountain bike rims. They are incredibly strong, and in this geometric configuration, even stronger.

This frame is retractable, from 800 to 1400mm. AUW of the frame bare, is slightly over 1Kg. AUW with two 6s 5200mAH, it is well under 6Kg

Stronger, lighter, less expensive... and soon to become more available ....Have a look at the prototype, please ignore the landing gear, and imagine in its place the CF gear that is hopefully arriving any day...View attachment 21833

Do you have a link to check these out?

simplyfly

rimcopters.com... soon to be revamped.

We are now teamed up with T-Motors Canada distributor... So new photos and media will be released soon!