Stock F550 with whats the max safe flying weight (biggest camera you can put)

Hi Guys,

I have a stock F550 with WKM and flying it with 4S 5000 and 10inch Graupners on it. I presently have a Gopro and am getting around 9mins till the red indicator starts flashing and comes down and lands.

I wanted to know if the stock F500 with the above setup will it safely fly a Sony Nex5 or Nex7? Or is it a must that i should upgrade my motors and props to lift the Nex's?

I want to know what is the maximum SAFE flying weight of a stock F550?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Adarsh

Adarsh...yeah the stock auw is 2400gms. Of course this may be based on the stock DJi crap props...How are the motors running with the 10" Graupners...i thought you couldn;t go that high on 4s...I have the 9" ones and am wondering I maybe need the 10s. What else you got dangling on that with 10" props ?

The 10inch graupners are doing good. I got a two axis gimbal, Gopro with casing, 500mw video Tx and a 1000mah 2cell lipo for the Vtx.
Ive read a lot of people here are lifting the nex5 with this machine, wanted to know if they're all stock or upgraded?

Regards
adarsh

With aeroxcraft landing gear and gopro gimbal, 4S and Graupner 10x5 the stock motors are extremely hot after 5 min flight. The stock motors are too small for this load. Get some MT2216.

My all up flying weight is 2530gms. I get 9mins flight and consume 80% of the battery .
How hot is hot on the motors?, my motors 1,3 & 5 were a little hotter than the others even when i was using a 3s with dji 10 inch props earlier. Now the temps on the motor are a little high as compared to before, but what should the idle temp of the motors after finishing the flight?

If you really want to fly an F550 AP, i suggest using sunnysky 2216 800kv motors from foxtechfpv. They are cheap and very good quality.. I used them with 11x4.5SF props on 4s packs and they were warm, but seemed to do well. 10" is no problem for them. I would think the nex5n would be the biggest camera you'd want to lift. Unfortun I never weighed my craft so i can't tell you the weight.

Here is my ship http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?6322-F550-AP-ship-progress-so-far but I'm using 11" props, I wouldn't try to fly that on 10". I used the sunnysky motors on that setup before I got the avroto's. They seemed to handle it OK, I really just upgraded the motors for piece of mind.

aForcefulThrust:
Woaw... happened to see your setup, i'm sure thats one fat hex :nevreness: Pity you dint weigh your machine. With two 4s 5000mah and with a nex5n and all that electronics what was the flight time you were getting from your machine?
Also do you see a lot of difference in terms of flying and endurance from the sunnysky2216 as compared to the Avoroto motors? (which Avroto motors are you using)?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm using the 770kv 2814 motors. When I flew the sunnysky's I only used 1 5000mah pack, and i didn't have the hdmi with video TX so it was a little lighter. Scary flying all this expensive equipment around! They're great motors for the size though, I'd get the sunnysky's over the over-priced tiger motors any day. I got a good 9 min on the sunnysky's, and about 12-13 min on the avroto's

aForcefulThrust:
What ESCs were you using with the sunnysky? Do i have to upgrade the ESCs too? I presently have the stock DJI 30amps opto. I'll go ahead and order the sunnysky from foxtech.
Also i see you've put LED strip on your machine, how did you power them? do you have a seperate 2cell lipo or something to power those LEDs?

Regards,
Adarsh

If you look at my pics in my thread, I have a small battery on top. It's a 800mah 3s I use to power the strips and my video TX. I use the 30A opto's I think they're good ESCs, although I don't have allot of experience with ESCs. They worked real good and stayed cool with the sunnysky's. They're the LEDs from hobbyking, real bright and awesome lol. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the motors, personally I really like how they fly with APC 10x4.7 Slow Fly props.

aForcefulThrust : one more thing..... With all that weight did you have to increase your WKM gains? What sis your gains on your F550?

Regards
adarsh

I was using naza.. I have a WKM coming in for it so IDK yet. Y Graups should work, I think slow fly props may be better for heavier loads though I'm not 100% sure on that.

Does the sunny sky motor's mounting holes same as the dji's? I mean do we have to put any extension plates to put the sunny sky motors to the F550 or it'll just swap?

Regards
adarsh