Step Up From GoPro Set Up Recommendations Please

If anybody has any recommendations of complete set ups that are a step up from GoPro and ideally alternatives to DJI I'd be really interested to hear them.
I know there's the obvious step up to S 800 with say a Nex 7 / GH3 but is there anything in between with GOOD alternatives to a Zenmuse gimbal, I' also interested in any other camera suggestions people may have.

To me it seems like there's no mid ground and it's such a big jump in cost from one level to the next, I think even a Tarot 650 is borderline on carrying a Nex 5 and can't seem to find any gimbals that'd really be suitable.

kloner

Aerial DP
to get seriously improved footage from a service provider standpoint is from hero to gh3/4..... i'd get a s1000 and nex zen

Stacky

Nobody else any input into ?????

Kloner is probably right. I have spent far too much money on cheaper gear which ultimately hasnt done the job. If I had spent the money up front on a zenmuse i would have ended up spending the same amount of money but had more time getting useable footage.

However if you just dont have the budget I have found the Quaternium gimbals to be plug and play. I have just ordered their Nex size gimbal which will arrive in a week, hopefully that will prove as useful as the gopro gimbal i bought off them.

BGControllers: The BASECAM - Alexmos 2 and 3 axis Brushless Controllers are the way to go in my opinion. These can be configured to accommodate any size/weight of camera and lens assemblies/attachments once you know how to configure them. Their newer 32 bit BGC offers the best performance, flexibility and future migration path as compared to the original 8 bit controllers they started out with. The Zenmuse and others I believe are designed for a narrower range of camera system weights.

Hobbyists with Arduino experience and a tight budget might go the cheap route with a Martinez 8 bit BGC.... but it is a handful to work with initially, requiring a minimum of 2 Arduino firmware upgrades just to get started... But I don't think these are adequate for the precision and stability that big camera operators are looking for.

Brushless Gimbal Assemblies: Until recently there has not been a lot of choice for BG assemblies specifically for cameras in the micro 4/3 category..... either a NEX# specific BGC systems which is not adequate to carry the heavier micro 4/3 or the heavy and expensive SLR BGC systems. If you have no plans to carry a heavy SLR or larger camera and might someday carry a BMPC or GH3 or GH4 then the following might be suitable and will also handle smaller cameras:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__51495__Turnigy_PRO_Steady_Hand_Gimbal_2_Axis_KIT.html
I specifically selected this one because I like the idea of being able to switch back and forth between handheld and MR BGC systems. Also it seems to be better constructed than the lower cost one sold by same company specific to MRs.....

COMPLETE BGC Packages: You will pay a premium for these as there tends to be a lot of setup and configuration work including QA/QC control required at the factory level and they still need strong followup tech support.

MULTI-ROTORS to carry above: You need a strong 1000 mm Hex or move up to a 1000mm Octocopter to get the super smooth flights needed for Aerial Video work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the comments do appreciate, does sound though pretty much as I thought there are very few mid way options that could be used and get good results in a commercial environment!!
i also wonder to a degree if there's and element of "camera snobbery" (that's not a criticism just a comment) within the industry and GoPro for commercial work doesn't really depending on what you want to do.
Thanks for the input !!!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
To some degree you may be right. But I do believe that the new development in sensors starts with the larger image sensors then migrates down into smaller sensors. And if you have ever seen a top quality Hasselblad photo made with extra large sensor you will understand how much better and sharper the results are. Also big glass will always give you superior results not just because of the increased light gathering power. Unfortunately the heaviest cameras are too hard to carry aloft for a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for the comments do appreciate, does sound though pretty much as I thought there are very few mid way options that could be used and get good results in a commercial environment!!
i also wonder to a degree if there's and element of "camera snobbery" (that's not a criticism just a comment) within the industry and GoPro for commercial work doesn't really depending on what you want to do.
Thanks for the input !!!

kloner

Aerial DP
doesn't fly real well, 1080, heavy workload. your better off with a hero 3+ or the 4 when it comes out, that should be full 4k 30 fps and image stabilizing or go all the way to gh3/4

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Very good information...... Thanks again Kloner. I think you are also saying there is a lot of post editing work required as well.

doesn't fly real well, 1080, heavy workload. your better off with a hero 3+ or the 4 when it comes out, that should be full 4k 30 fps and image stabilizing or go all the way to gh3/4