Stability problem

nickwad

Hi Kopterworx ,

I figure you are the renowned experts on co-axial 8's Pleeese can you help ? I have an X8 which is very wobbly, there is something wrong with the combination of parts or set up but I can't find it. It is best with the APC's less good with the carbon 15 x 5.5's and really bad with the 16 x 5 wood props.
I have done all the obvious things ( I think !) I have tried the gains all over but nothing helps , checked the configuration etc , calibrated compass .. it flies the same in atto mode and GPS , it does not seem to help adding weight to the mount. It flies ok in still air but cannot handle ANY slight wind without wobbling badly !

Flying weight is 5.1 kgs
Wookong M (latest firmware)
Tiger motors MN 4014-9
Tiger motor 40 a ESC's
6200 6s x1
APC 14 x 4.7 props , DJI carbon 15 x 5.5 .
motor to motor 750mm
AV 200 mount

If you have any ideas I would be very grateful.

Regards Nick
PS I designed the QuadH2o , I hope yours are still going well !

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 312
  • photo copy.jpg
    photo copy.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited by a moderator:

My sky jib 8 is in flat configuration but I would think that it would still apply to your case... center of gravity makes all the difference in the world and if its not spot on it will dance around for sure. X, Y, and Z axis is critical to a stable rig.

Edit to add: my wkm didn't like a lot of wind either and somebody here suggested covering the pressure hole with a piece of gauze or the like. I used one of the wife's makeup applicator which was a small piece of foam. Worked like a charm!

cbpagent72

My sky jib 8 is in flat configuration but I would think that it would still apply to your case... center of gravity makes all the difference in the world and if its not spot on it will dance around for sure. X, Y, and Z axis is critical to a stable rig.

Edit to add: my wkm didn't like a lot of wind either and somebody here suggested covering the pressure hole with a piece of gauze or the like. I used one of the wife's makeup applicator which was a small piece of foam. Worked like a charm!

I have a new skyJib 6 that I am building and I am curious how you determine your center of gravity. Any tips or tricks?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Umm does anyone read this forum at all ? lol

LOL... when I can... It's documented pretty well in the manual. But I grab my arms at the same point on opposing arms and make sure x,y are good and then carefully I find a spot on the frame or quick detach mount
that feels good for z. Even then I usually will try a couple different measurements for z until it stops dancing in the air. Once I have that I'll export those settings for that camera and battery setup. It's almost always the same when I come back to that camera unless we've added something to the camera between shoots.

Lanzar

Hello,

Sorry for late answer but better late than ever.
FIrst off all for this motors 15x5. Second hope you leveled your motors correctly. Third gains should be low except vertical around 150.
switch back to 5.16 software if you want normal results. Check CG , do you have camera instaled.

Reportr back

nickwad

Hi Lanzar
Thank you for your advice I have switched back to 5.16 software , re-checked motor alignment with a spirit level, CG ok , I am testing with 2.6 kgs on the AV 200 . What do you call low basic gains ? and atti gains . I have the atti set to 80 and basic to 200 . it is only about 5% better now though .
I tried lowering the main I gain to 80% and that seems to help it sit still more ! what are your thoughts please ?
I still feel there is something wrong that I have not found yet !

nickwad

Update !
On further testing I have got it flying a bit better now with the gains at Basic 300 300 ! atti 80 80 yaw 150 vertical 160 main I 80% it seems a lot better even in a slightly turbulent wind.

The 5.16 software is much less susceptible to high gain oscillations than the latest version ??