Stability and Maneuvrability

anarchomm

Are helicopters or multicopters more maneuverable (assuming they have the same power)?
Also which one is more stable?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
It's impossible to answer this question simply. Used to be helicopters were more manoeverable and stable. But it's not necessarily the case anymore. A good MR can be more stable than a bad helicopter. And vice-versa.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
It's impossible to answer this question simply. Used to be helicopters were more manoeverable and stable. But it's not necessarily the case anymore. A good MR can be more stable than a bad helicopter. And vice-versa.

Well said that man! I used to say that helicopters were stable and fast, but now MRs can be just as stable and fast with the correct set-up. Often more so.

SoCal Blur

Well, to answer one aspect of the OP's question directly, helicopters are by far more maneuverable than multirotors due to the variable pitch props. Other than the Stingray (a quad that has variable pitch props), you won't see a multirotor flying upside down or flipping back and forth on it's tail.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Well said that man! I used to say that helicopters were stable and fast, but now MRs can be just as stable and fast with the correct set-up. Often more so.

I'm not sure about the fast thing... the very fastest multicopter I've seen was about 100 km/h. And it took a pretty specialized setup to do that. 100 km/h on a 600 heli is like a walk in the park. Typically MR's max out around 50 km/h. That's just getting to the sweet spot on a 500 size heli.

So, that is the last remaining benefit of helicopters. If you actually want to fly around rather than just hover, a helicopter is still better at this point. But other than that, it comes down to specific design of different machines.

IMHO -
From what I have been reading the conventional heli can be made as stable as a Multirotor but of course is mechanically complex requiring a lot of mechanical maintenance/re-calibration etc.
The Multirotor is mechanically simple but super stable but is only available in electric which is an airtime handicap.
The ultimate flying machine at the hobby level from my perspective would be a scaled down version of this: (coax stability - efficient - autorotation in event of motor failure etc.)
http://www.ibtimes.com/sikorsky-unv...ve-helicopter-civilian-version-s-97-raider-it

Str8 Up

I know of at least two people who have SR helis going 80 mph hauling Red Epics. At the moment the only way to do that with a multi is toss it off a tall building.