Soldering help... Wire will not tin.

Pelted

So while I wait for the big big kit to arrive I'm putting together this Turnigy Micro Quad. The recommended motors have wire that is being a serious PITA. The dark copper wire will not tin. The wires have to be cut so short to fit this tiny frame there is just no doing this without getting these things pre tinned. Picture attached... Any ideas would be super helpful. Everything else and the ESCs are all soldered in nicely.

View attachment 6976

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349927963.353389.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349927963.353389.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 862

kloner

Aerial DP
that wire has a enamel or lacquer on it...... got any lacquer thinner, mek, acetone, something like that? if not, try sanding it off

hexa

Place the soldering iron on the wire for a very long time then tap solder wire wile the hot iron is on the wire. the heat from the iron will tin it.
Some flux would help too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Oh man, I just made this mistake. I was told afterward to NEVER EVER cut motor wires. And now I know why. They lacquer them with some insanely tough varnish or something. I was ultimately able to solder them but I had to soak them in lacquer thinner, heat them up, sand them, scrape them with a razor blade, flux and torch them, and do this literally about 15-20 times. I tried silver solder but it didnt work. Sorry, it's a hard way to learn this lesson.

Pelted

Thanks for the info and help. Damn now I know, I think I got them with a little light sanding wheel on a dremel. But the wires are so small it was ridiculously hard. Now I have a bunch of idiot micro jst to regular servo connector cables to make and solder because brilliant me got a FASST compatible Rx with stupid little connectors. So sick of my 3 hours of work for 4 motors and ESCs.

ChrisViperM

Another problem with this kind of wire is the stiffness....I used to have this problem mainly with the motors from RC-cars.....the easiest cure was to replace the whole wires altogether with Silikon wires. With all the thinners and scraping and sanding you still cannot be 100% sure that the soldering will be OK in the long run.

Chris

Pelted

...the easiest cure was to replace the whole wires altogether with Silikon wires. With all the thinners and scraping and sanding you still cannot be 100% sure that the soldering will be OK in the long run.

Yea I noticed that too, and realized that if I ever want to use these in some other mini multirotor I'm going to have to do that. Not sure what tearing apart the motor and replacing the wires entails yet though. Yikes.

Pelted

In stripping some of the cut pieces of wire to inspect further I discovered the first 2cm or so were not varnished, but since I cut way way back I ran into this poo. If I ever get home tonight I'm going to look at just replacing the wire completely.