Smaller or bigger Quad - Newbie here :)

kris2340k

So i have read that a smaller quad is better for beginners as it just does not have the weight to cause it to break. is this true and should i go for a larger (like 500mm) quad copter or one of the smaller much lighter ones

note i intend to add an fpv system at a later date.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I think you are probably referring to the MQX from Blade/Eflite, good cheap starting point to learn your left from you other left.

Then something like a 450 quad built from scratch is a great way to get an FPV machine happening.

Pete

xsnowb27

I have a little mini ladybird quad that fits in the palm of my hand and I've managed to break that so that's not really a good reason why it's better for beginners...Usually the smaller the quad the cheaper it is so you can learn off it. Definitely what PeteDee says is a good starting point.

kris2340k

no its not that ive heard they are not breake able, but do they brake less, i have a budget of about £200 ($339 US dollars) as a starting amount, and my birthday is in august so i will set it up for fpv then. But the report im doing for my a levels on this. well the lady in change whats a full draft by the 11th july (ofcourse that includes something that works)
so i need to purchase all my parts soon so i really should decide.

on a side note this frame i been looking at : http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbykin...er_Quadcopter_Frame_600mm_AUS_Warehouse_.html
the description says a 8x4 or 9x5 prop, but the manual thing under the files tab, if im wrong it says 8 to 12 inch props.
Is the whole 8x5 thing not in inches or are hobbyking just using the safest(smallest? is it.. i dont know lol) smallest size as a guide?

Rook33

Rook
I would start with a smaller one at first until you get some flying time and feel comfortable with it, then move up to a bigger one.

dronebuff

Hubsan X4 is a great model to start with. Durable, stable, and flies very well for it's size and prize. You can get it for less than $50.00. If you're going to be flying indoors, I'd strongly recommend purchasing the blade protector too.