Aeronavics / Droidworx Skyjib X4 operational ceiling

Allskies

Hi,

I fly a Skyjib X4 Titanium and would like to know what the operational ceiling is. How can I determine this?

Skyjib X4 set up:
DJI A2 flight controller
T-motor 15x5 carbon prop's
T-motor 4014-11 motor's
DJI Zenmuse Z15 Sony Nex5R
6s Lipo's of 9000mAh

Thanks in advance.

dazzab

Off the top of my head, you have about 16min flight time and can climb about 12 meters/sec so that would be 60*16*12 or 11,520 meters or around 38,000 feet. So let's cut that in half to be reasonable and you have 19,000 ft. Of course, that's using all you power to go up. Coming back down will be _much faster_. :)

If you want a controlled ascent/descent then I'm going to guess about 3,000 ft. That's just a guess though. The experts here will be able to tell you exactly. :) I bet a few of them have even flown that high themselves.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
3000 ft is very conservative. It will still work at 3000 meters with that configuration - although it would be puffing a bit with the effort! As the altitude increases and the air thins you need to consider changing to longer or increased pitch props to maintain performance. So for example, if your current configuration works well up to 1000 meters - which covers most of Europe - at around 1500m you might want to change to T-motor 16" props and at around 2500 meters change to 17".

But you cannot just stick on some 17" props to handle all situations because at sea level the motors would likely be over loaded with the denser air.

ECalc gives you good ballpark figures and lets you know if you are starting to over stress the motors or ESC's.