Skyjib X4/ DJIA2 crash

Allskies

Hi all,

Today I experienced a very "total loss" crash with my Skyjib X4 during a mapping. :(

I cannot really tell yet what was exactly going wrong.

Schedule of today:
10:00 : Tested platform at the office, all worked perfect. No defects noted. Checked Solar storm -->KP2. Sunny day, thunderstorms expected at the end of the day. Wind +- 7kts
12:00 : Arrived at the mapping area, set up everything. Tested again with the testing batteries. All good.
12:15 : exchanged the testing batteries by the flight batteries. Start up ok, fwd direction recorded , Checking all data--> no Satellites ... Started the prop's and noticed when I pushed the stick to fly fwd, the RPAS went left. Like channels were swapped or something...

Disconnected batteries and reconnected: still zero satellites but all channels ok again.
Tried a few times with reconnecting and suddenly GPS was ok -->13 satellites
Tested all channels -->ok after take off everything seemed to be ok, mapping software took the command.

At the end of the flight time I triggered the go home switch. Then the sh** hits the fan. The UAV started swirling, switched over to attitude mode and took control, everything was +-ok. Because I couldn't see what was fwd and the UAV was drifting away, I switched back to GPS mode. Again the UAV started severely swirling, switched back to attitude mode without effect. Did an emergency descend and at 40m the UAV had about 90° inclination due to the swirling and crashed down.

Did someone ever experienced something similar? Or does someone know what this could have been? Does someone know how to read the data from the DJI IOSD?

The RPAS is about 1 year in flight, have been inspected by the CAA and passed the ground/flight inspection.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
That really sucks, sorry that happened to you. Does the iOSD app still offer the option to access the log files, maybe @DJI Innovations could help? I haven't used this feature for quite some time, so not sure if you can still do it. If it can be pulled, I'd open a ticket with DJI and see if they can help you analyze this.
Which GPS module did you use?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Haven't heard one of these stories where a catastrophic incident occurs after months of unremarkable operation for so long that it appeared as if the GPS Pro puck replacement programme might have settled the issue. Obviously not.

You can try and glean something useful from the iOSD data but ... well, good luck.

Area21

Area21
I fly 2 of the same aircraft one with WKM flight controller and the other the A2. When you first tested the flight controls were you in gps or atti mode. Were you using the DJI waypoint system. DJI should be able to decode your Iosd black box recorder.
Please keep us posted with your findings.

Allskies

DJI will read my IOSD data. The GPS is send to a shop for testing. I suspect a wirebreak. I'll keep you guys posted.