Should I have my Fat Shark camera on a gimbal?

bensid54

Is it better to have the Fat shark camera rigid to the frame or would it be better to put it on a gimbal? If it's right on the frame I would think you would get a better feel of what the aircraft is doing but if it was on a gimbal you would get a more steady veiw, whats the best thing for a guy just entering FPV? Thanks in advance!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Some people like head tracking some do not, I have not used it but a flying buddy uses it on his big wing but you do need a Tx/Rx combo that has sufficient channels to do it.

I think it is something that is best left off to start with and as you get more experience you will decide for yourself if you need it.

Pete

bensid54

I think for me at this time head tracking would not be in my best interest but a servo to change camera angle would be. I have a Futaba 12fg on the way it should be here next week and will have to pick up an S-bus for it to increase channels, I think twelve channels would be enough for this hobby.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
If youre going to change camera angle do head tracking. Most of the time when you need to look left or right it is while the craft is moving and so you do not have any free hands to turn knobs. Getting a wide angle lens for your ccd (or cmos) might be a good alternative