Should I Buy a Spare Motor?

Dezy

Should I order one extra motor as a spare for a F450 quad? I'm a nubee following Bart's Group Build (didn't get a reply, there) recommendation of the MT 2216-12 motors.

What are the chances of needing to replace a motor in a year, and Tiger not making that model anymore?

I'm assuming that one normally doesn't mix motor models or brands on a MR.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Usually it's not necessary to keep lots of spares around unless you plan on crashing a lot. In a year you'll probably have outgrown whatever you own and be looking to build a new aircraft.

Cool?

Dezy

OK - Thank you both. From what I've read, the motors seem to be fairly well built. But I'll definitely get some spare arms & props!

COMike93yj

Still Building!
OK - Thank you both. From what I've read, the motors seem to be fairly well built. But I'll definitely get some spare arms & props!

Dezy....

I am going the opposite route. I KNOW I am going to have some crashes so extra props are a must! As well as spare arms!

With that being said, I am going to get a spare motor. I would hate to have one go out and not be able to fly and have to end up waiting a couple of weeks for a replacement (depending on where I can source it). I think of it as a small insurance policy or a "spare tire".

I four wheel with my 93 Jeep Wrangler a TON! When I am out having fun rock crawling or on the trail I always carry a "Spares" kit which some call excessive. However trashing a U-joint or an axle while on the outing sucks and I have learned over many years keeping things that MAY break has served me well and did not relegate me to being a passenger in someone's ride.

FOR ME, the extra motor keeps me up and running if need be.

Will a motor go out due to a crash or just failing? I have no earthly idea but I would rather be able to keep flying and not have to wait for a replacement.

Mike :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Should I order one extra motor as a spare for a F450 quad? I'm a nubee following Bart's Group Build (didn't get a reply, there) recommendation of the MT 2216-12 motors.

What are the chances of needing to replace a motor in a year, and Tiger not making that model anymore?

I'm assuming that one normally doesn't mix motor models or brands on a MR.

Thanks in advance!

Dezy,

Spares are nice to have when you need them and if you're planning to pick up some extra stuff then it won't be the worst thing you ever do if you decide to buy an extra motor. Some of these motors have been around a while and the particular Tiger motor we're using has already been updated to a Ver2 model. You'll probably need props before you'll need to replace a motor but it won't hurt to have it if you want to go ahead and buy it.

Bart