Setup & Configuring Futaba Radio with Hex

Jay_Z

I have a Futaba T10J radio with the R3008SB receiver that I am installing on my Tarot 680 Pro Hex - using the Naza M V2 flight controller.

It seemed that the easy part was building the hex - understanding the Futaba manual is the harder part!

I'd like to use 10 channels - (including the basics plus retracts, gimbal tilt, camera shutter, etc). I just don't quite understand the S.Bus setup and how this all works. I use a T8J on another hex but just use the 8 channels - non-S.Bus so this is new to me.

Know of any good resources that are easier to understand than the manual (videos, tutorials, etc)? I didn't see too much on this in my searches - perhaps you've used a resource for your setup/config?

Any assistance/info would be greatly appreciated!

Jay_Z

Thanks - yes, that is my go-to resource! I just couldn't find the info I wanted on this. Thought, just in case someone else had another source of info! I'll keep searching for what I need.

Old Man

Back in the day U.S. Futaba manuals were written by a brilliant techno geek named Don Edberg. Don't know what happened to him but back then the manuals were comprehensive and complete, with one section flowing logically into the next. Man, those were nice to work with! That's not the case today. As things stand Futaba makes fantastic equipment but their manuals take you right up to the point where the information you need should be, but stop and leave you hanging. Airtronics has the best manuals for any radio brand by an order of magnitude, and real easy control set up.

I have not set up a DJI FC using a Futaba Tx in a couple years, and that was a 14 SG with an A2. Biggest thing was setting up the throttle channel to travels that both the FC and the ESC's would recognize. Same thing was needed on a Vector FC. sBUS with Vector is EASY. If you're using the 3008 Rx, a good receiver BTW, you may have to program the Rx to a specific mode to take advantage of the sBUS feature. Use sBUS to either fly the aircraft or control the options because I do not believe the FC has enough channels, or bandwidth, to do it all. It does not take much to confuse a DJI FC. Worst case is you obtain a second receiver to power the optional stuff, using the same Tx as for flight controls. You would of course have to bind the Rx and assign the features to channels on the second receiver to channels that did not conflict with the flight control channels. There would also be a need to power some of the things assigned to the second receiver though a voltage regulated BEC to avoid Rx brown outs from voltage draw down.

violetwolf

Agree on the Futaba documentation comments. I hesitated to switch to Taranis for over a year due to hearing that there's a steep learning curve... After Futaba I found Taranis simple friendly and very intuitive lol!