Selling Used Gear: include safety sheet?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
hey folks. Quick question for you all....

Wondering if anyone has ever included a "safety sheet" when they sell their used equipment. I have always found the literature included in the packages from manufacturers somewhat lacking in regards to safety. Some might have a little blurb about "don't fly near your newborn..." Etc. But many have nothing at all.

It's always seemed like something that perhaps various companies (or even airspace regulatory agencies) could/should come together on, collectively determining what detailed info would help the new pilot.

I'm gearing up to sell some used gear, including some full ARF Multirotors. Knowing that they may end up in the hands of new pilots, I have decided to write up a sheet that includes some tips for using the equipment safely.

Wondering if anyone has ever done this - or what you think might be most useful to include. While it doesn't need to be long, I think something that is more detailed than what I've seen thus far would go a long way towards making me feel better about putting this technology into the hands of the uninitiated.

Thanks in advance for any input.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Think about your liability first. As courteous of an idea that seems, now a days buyers are already informed on the use of a product well before they ever get it (see the solo/phantom 3 threads on a certain forum).

The last thing you want would have a buyer who managed to damage person or property connect your safety sheet back to the accident.
Someone's common sense or lack of shouldn't be your concern unless you've altered the product in some way such as taken off or disabled any of the factory safety features.
jmo

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks TStrike. I hear what you're saying, and you may be right. But it was this very worry that led me to wonder if this might be a pro and not a con.

I'm not so sure that all consumers have the information you suggest (of course some do). Just simply based on questions that pop up on this forum, there are at least some that have very little idea about the basics, yet find themselves in possession of an MR which could cause some damage.

But I do take your point. I guess my question would be, would there be any liability difference between delivering a product that they potentially use negligently with or without a tips sheet?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yep. Good point. I think we need some stickers for MRF to slap on the side of these things. Maybe with a tag line "educate yourself." :)

Old Man

Although I agree completely that manufacturer's fail miserably in providing documentation with their products, technical and safety included, I also agree with Tstrike. Providing additional safety sheets implies you are aware of the various dangers and therefore selling products that may be viewed as unsafe for use in some later personal or product liability legal action. That's not the way it should be but a lawyer looks for anyplace they can assign responsibility in any amount to assure that someone will be stuck with the bill at the end of the case. You can't sue China and collect so everyone downstream of them holds the product liability bag.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Very true. The idea of opening the door to possible liability is enough to steer me clear of this idea. That's why I post here.... :). Good tips!

Thanks folks.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The scary moment in selling a helicopter is when the buyer asks to test fly it themselves! I asked a bunch of questions to this one guy and it seemed he knew how to fly comfortably. i hand over the sticks and the helicopter is drifting over the intersection a half block away! I grab the remote and barely recover it. i guess he thought it was a phantom and didnt require knowing how to fly in atti only with no RTH or gps function. That was the last time i do that! I have given a checklist to people before, why not? Anytime you get something new you are anxious to fly and there is a lot going through your mind. It never hurts to have it in writing. There's a reason real aircraft use one.