Scorpion SkyStrider 280 build (help needed)

JDFelosi

For the past while I've slowly been building up a strider 280 to be given away as one of the awards for our outreach flight school program. Would love to be able to get something pre-configured but we gotta do with what's donated and in our budget, on to the meat.

Frame assembly was simple as most frames this size are. I'm using the following components
SkyStrider 280
Scorpion M-2204-2300kv motors
RMRC 12amp BL12 ESC's
Naze32 Full w/ cleanflight
EZUHF rx (testing with D4r)
Immersion 5.8 600mw VTX
Mini minimosd

I have the power train done and was going to start tuning the FC before I put on the upper half with the FPV gear on it. But in angle and horizon modes it dances around quite a bit even with the Baro and mag on.

Anyone know where I should start with PID tuning or is there some sort of auto tune?
View attachment 26864

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447990852.362632.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447990852.362632.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 442

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Baseflight works pretty well unless you really know you want to run CleanFlight. I'm not home at the moment so I can't share settings but maybe someone else can that has a similar quad. Using someone else's settings would at least get you close to where you need to be.

Or just try Baseflight and use the stock settings, that's what I'm flying with my NAZE32 and it's been great so far, no tuning required yet.

cootertwo

Humm, I haven't gotten that far yet with mine. I put mine together with all the screws loose, just to make sure I had everything right, so now I have to re-do it with loctite. Sooo many tiny screws, hard on my old eyes. I'm using some Multistar Elite motors, and Turnigy pulse 12A ESC's. Still have to mount ESC's and do all the soldering, mount my D4rll and naze full. I'll be watching this post, in case you get yours tuned out before I do. I'll post my results when I get done. I'm old and slow! What size props and battery are you using? Do you have a video of yours flying, as it is now?

eqmdef8

I don't have any experience with Naze boards, and as I was typing saw you were using clean flight. I used cleaned flight for about 5 minutes on my cc3d board and switched back.
Anyway, in your cleanflight you should be able to link an accessory channel to a knob or slider on the radio. Setup a range and start trying it out. I can't go into detail on how to do it with cleanflight, but in cc3d its called TxPID.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JDFelosi

Reflashed to baseflight and in horizon with Baro it goes up and down about 3-4ft. And before anyone asks I do have foam on the Baro. Still in horizon + Baro any cyclic movement and it drops and yaw makes it drop, I know I need to adjust pid's I know. Still looking for a good video or step by step on that. I'm used to apm/pixhawk so there is gonna be a learning curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eqmdef8

Again, I only use cc3d fcs so it may not apply, but I do believe yaw drop is normal, or at least the physics makes sense. It's possible that the naze board is capable of preventing it, but the yaw motion is caused by letting the torque of the motor spin the model. That means it has to cut throttle back slightly. Tbh I could be wrong, im not that smart :). That's just how I believe it to work and all the quads I have flown drop when yaw if you don't throttle up for it. Keep us informed and good luck

eqmdef8

I just found this, its like 50m log so I didn't watch it, but seems to be just what you need

cootertwo

I've got mine almost done. ESC's and wiring all soldered in. Just trying to decide which flight controller I want to use. I do all my flying, sitting in my screened patio, FPVing around my one acre tree forest, so I don't really need anything acro, and the Naza Lite works pretty darned good, for just putzing around. And Naza Lite in manual mode is pretty responsive. I have one or two mini's setup with a naze full board, but they don't seem to be as stable as the Naza, or as easy to setup. I bought a couple of these FPV setups to try. 800tvl and 600mw for $40. We'll see.
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-800...-Lens-w-5_8G-600mW-Transmitter-p-1002041.html