S800 Evo maiden flight & crash

ddikie

I am so bummed ..bellow is the email i was just asked to write to the vendor about my crash..and attached is my Settings screen grab..

Any help from anybody to know what happened would be great ..i am soooooo pissed off you would not believe..sorry no footage or IOSii had not got View attachment 13482 too that yet.

Pls read on...

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Further to our meeting earlier today I would like to bring to your attention a serious situation with the S800 Evo.

After a full setup by myself following the product manual & wookong setup fully I took the S800 out for it first flight which unfortunately resulted in a tip over with damage to 2 arms most of the propellers and the landing strut.

Equipment.
S800 – EVO
Wookong M – 5.24 firmware
IMU – mounted on the plate above the battery as supplied.
Futaba 14Sg transmitter and stock receiver
Batteries – 2 x [/FONT][FONT=Consolas, Courier New, Courier]Thunder Power 7800 - 6S PP25
[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Once the system was connected did the update and configuration ( attached) is the configuration file I saved of the setup to evaluate all the parameters I set up / also screen grab of the basic config from wookong
6KG full up weight.

Initial Build by myself.
[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Followed instruction manual to the letter for the build. [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Took the multicolor to your shop for professional evaluation and double checking, I spent 1 hr with your technician and went through fully the setup & we both agreed that all was ok and correctly done. [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]checked & rechecked COG under each set of opposite arms and it was fine..I even additionally suspended it from these point to double check the COG and it was perfect.
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
PRE - flight Check.
[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Checked transmitter battery voltage – fully charged. [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Checked LIPO batteries voltage – fully charged. [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Checked batteries were firmly strapped into harness [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Check all switches were in the correct position for GPS – ATI flight / landing gear down green switch on / IOC off / failsafe off..all good to go. [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Extended GPS module to correct position.
    [/FONT]
Flight
[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Switched on Transmitter & then plugged in LiPo pack. [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Initial startup sequence commenced..usual sequence of Purple / Red flashes.. [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Waited whilst it found full GPS lock..single purple flashing light achieved. [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Motor start initiated..visual inspection all propellers turning regularly. [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Increased throttle and took off to a hover 40-50 cm off the ground..after about 10 seconds of hover the S800 went sharply to the left – I tried a gentle compensation to the right to bring it back and land but the machine veered off to the right and forward and flipped onto its side..
    [/FONT]
Damage resulted in 2 broken arms / propellers / possible motor damage / landing skid..and unknown electronic damage.

This happened so quickly that I did not even have chance to try ATI or manual modes for recovery

As you can understand I am fully upset with the situation, I am the first S800 – EVO customer in Dubai and have been waiting for 6 weeks for it to arrive so you can imagine how disappointed I am.

I have been reading on forums - multirotorforum.com about issue with the 5.24 firmware & more importantly issues with the IMU module ( attached is picture of serial number)
3460997418_297775
3460997418_290474
and that it has been causing crashes with s800 under heavy laods, but as mine was only 6kgs I felt safe to fly..
Unfortunaly I fully believe there is an issue and infact DJI are swapping them over, and also considering that I brought this to your attention when I purchased the kit and you told me that the wookong M unit shipped with the EVO and was the latest model ad all would be fine.

I would like you to bring thi sto the attention of DJI immediately and request for a full replacement of the S800 & EVO as I believe there are issues with IMU which caused the crash..in fact reading on the forums this is not the first time its happened and DJI have offered replacements due to faulty products / Firmware issues.

I own & fly an DJI flame wheel / DJO phantom and are happy with these products so you can imagine my utter disappointment in the professional S800 _ EVO

Looking forward to your response to the matter.

Kind regards[/FONT]

Attachments

• basic screen.jpg
    basic screen.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 420

Tahoe Ed

You did not mention calibrating the compass at the location you were flying at. Did you do that or did you not? Makes a big difference.

ddikie

Sorry yes I did calibrate the compass the day before at my house which is only 50 meters away from where I did the maiden flight, and i did not re calibrate before take off because it did not give any compass errors on startup..that should be fine right?

Zzr

Sorry about your crash. It looks like GPS Location parameter error value number X and Y. You use vibration kit? Can u upload your pic of your s800 EVO.

ddikie

Yes its the EVO with the new vibration absorption kit on it..sorry don't have a pic at hand..took it straight to the dealer so its not with me right now.

Can you expand a bit on the GPS Location parameter error value number X and Y pls...i wish i had taken off in Atti mode or manual rather than bloody GPS..I hope it can be repaired..

Just had to take 650 flame wheel out for a spin to make sure i could still fly...and yes i can..so bummed about the EVO..anyway life goes on..

Zzr

oops new design of bracket. GPS parameter seem correct. I never use GPS while flying. I almost use Atti mode all the times without problem. mine still waiting for my S800 EVO and A2 too.
Yes its the EVO with the new vibration absorption kit on it..sorry don't have a pic at hand..took it straight to the dealer so its not with me right now.

Can you expand a bit on the GPS Location parameter error value number X and Y pls...i wish i had taken off in Atti mode or manual rather than bloody GPS..I hope it can be repaired..

Just had to take 650 flame wheel out for a spin to make sure i could still fly...and yes i can..so bummed about the EVO..anyway life goes on..

mkheng

My Evo decided it wanted to crash also. Fortunately it fell into a grass field with wet soft mud. It damaged one arm, motor, ESC etc and damaged the gimbal. When I rebuilt/replaced the damaged arm I did a flight test and it almost crashed again. I then did a thorough check of the whole rig and discovered the problem was down to a capacitor on one of the ECSs. I had an electrical component engineer look at the ESC and this was his report;

After inspection of the S800 Evo pcb you supplied we have the following observations:
It is clear from the pcb pad layout that the pcb was designed for surface mount capacitors.
Both large electrolytic capacitors fitted (marked SE010501R) are through hole radial types. Whilst it is sometimes common for through hole types to be fitted to a surface mount pcb, the execution in this instance was not successful due to the following reasons:
1) The capacitor legs have been cuttoo short to allow sufficient fixing area to the pcb
pad and itis clearto see that this has resulted in a weak soldered jointthat has not
fully wetted when soldered
2) As the through hole capacitors do not sit down flat onthe pcb as a surface mount
version would, itis especially important to ensure they are anchored to the pcb with
a small amount ofsilicone or other semi-flexible adhesive. This helps to alleviate
issues that occur from vibration such as stress fractures and cracking of the
component legs.
In this instance it is apparentthat the poor assembly techniques used during manufacture have ultimately led to one of the capacitor legs breaking and the other becoming detached from the pcb pad.
Without a full knowledge ofthe parts fitted and circuit schematics , we are unable to determine conclusively if the capacitor failure led to the failure of the other surface mount components on the pcb. However, it is in our opinion highly likely that the failure in this joint would have a detrimental effect on the power supply and feedback circuits on the speed control functions and this would result in the motor speed control fluctuating uncontrollably.

As you would expect DJI are not acknowledging this as being the case and are not taking responsibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Flight controller.. Sorry just gone right back to beginning of thread.. Suggest going back to 5.20 FW

Dave

mkheng

Ah sorry. A2 but that appears to be fine. When I replaced the suspect ESC I carried out a 30 min of test flights with 3 batteries without a proble,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This kind of stuff terrifies me. I think sometimes we think, "wouldn't happen to me" or "can't happen to me" -- and then you read through descriptions like these where the pilots seem to know exactly what they are doing down to every detail, and the system fails them. I'm almost scared to take off after reading these stories because I don't know what I would do if I lost this much money in a crash.