S800 EVO crash

Topflight

I have been flying my S800 EVO with, WKM, Zenmuse15 and retractable landing gear for approx 50 flights, with software 5.24. I was going to upgrade to latest version, but when I purchased the unit, the dealer told me to stay at 5.24, because thats how it was put together and it was test flown with this software. Unit has been flying well without issues. Last week I had completed two flights without any problems. On the third flight, I took off and was in a hover about 75' high and not too far out in front of me. I was in GPS mode and I started to notice my controls seemed slow to respond. I started to bring it down because I wasn't sure what was going on with the S800. All of a sudden, it tipped to the right at about 45 degrees and flew diagonally as fast as I have ever seen it go and crashed about 150 to 200 feet away. I had no time to react. I flipped it to RTH, but nothing happened. Didn't have time to try anything else like manual or ATTI, it happened so fast. Wasn't flying around any power or transmitters. Had a lot of damage, but could of been worse, as I crashed onto a sandy beach.

My question is, what do I do after I get it repaired? I'll probably upgrade to latest software, but whats to say this won't happen again. It's going to cost me some money, but my bigger concern is what would of happen if I hit someone. At the speed it was traveling, it would have done some serious damage, if not worse, if it had hit someone. I don't fly around people, but even as remote an area I was flying in, I crashed within a 150' of a couple that were walking on the beach (didn't know they were there, as they were below my line of sight).

I haven't a clue what happened. I know there are all kind of possibilities for the crash. Do you think that after so many flights, it might be a good idea to reboot the software and re-callibrate the unit just in case? Going to send note to DJI to see if they will respond.

Last edited by a moderator: