RSGS Skyline new firmware

Tuukkuli

I was wondering the same. And in the user guide (or setup guide which it is also called) there is no mention of dummy pots anymore.
I was planning to use this weekend for setting up the thing but now I guess I have to wait until things clear out :upset:

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

I noticed hetup guide shows how to level by hand then do auto tune, so thats been updated.

Cedric, you have clered the matter up, thanks for the info.

Ross

Full of hope about ?

The skyline is a bit trickey to set but once done the stabilization is nothing to compare with what you can have with onmy mikrokopter card or woo kong. day vs night ;)

Cedric,
I hoped that the new firmware that should address very well known mistakes (have a look at the other thread for their list, we can't call all of them "bugs") had been released. Unluckily this was not the case and, given the time gone by since these problems were acknowledged the feeling is that, after so much trouble in following the slowly ascending path of this product, we've been left alone with something that is just acceptable, or unacceptable if you use a 360 gimbal.
Mind you, i am using two skylines since the very first production run and since then i have tried to cope with its limitations and problems, spending all the time it took to do it. I agree that the skyline latest development have made it a better solution than any onboard gimbal management system. But honestly this is the minimum i ask from a dedicated stabilization system.
Now i'd expect it to simply work, on all axis and without problems, is this asking too much?
Claudio

P.S.: i am writing to you because you asked, but the message is dedicated to the people in NZ. Nothing personal with them too, they're kind and i really like everyone i got in touch with. It's just that, professionally speaking, i was expecting something more from them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Claudio,

what are the issues you are talking about ?
I didn't see any "list" on the other thread.
Once calibrated and once your camera is balanced on your gimbal you have a really good product.
The main concern I have seen is the pan velocity: you can't have a stabilization in pan that works with a snail servo. If you servo is sloooooooow you will have good pan but no stabilization on this axe (too slow).

Hello Cedric,
there is a list of reported problems and bugs in the repository started by PH, part of the problems were supposed to have been solved when Brendon pubblished this message:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...her-skyline-rsgs&p=68556&viewfull=1#post68556
but i have seen no follow-up to it.
I use both units on 360 setups but don't use pan stabilization. I set it once and then disabled after a week testing, not because the servo speed is slow but because i must disable the pan servo if the legs turn with the gimbal. Doing so makes impossible to turn the gimbal as disabling compensation disables radio control too and, when you re-activate it, the gimbal remembers the previous position AND all radio inputs during the "disabled" period moving suddendly to an unpredictable position.
There's more, it has been reported, acknowledged and, practically speaking, apparently ignored, for sure not solved.

Well there is effectively no update on this page since 26/10/12.
I will check that with Kim.

About your problem I don't undertsand it completly:
- you are flying
- you disable pan stab with the roll pot cable plugged into your receiver where you have used a 3 position switch (you still have tilt/roll enable)
- if you try to pan with the radio it's impossible ( the pan is completly disable we agree)
- if you re-enable the pan stab, the gimbal start spining following the input you gave while pan is disable ?

Best regards,
Cédric

Yes, that is correct.
The same applies for the period you disable roll and tilt. If a trim is out or a stick has been moved when the control is re-enabled it goes funny...in one of the meanings of this word, if you're in front of a customer. Add to that the fact that setting the limits only influences radio travel but not compensation, which therefore can overrun them.
I preferred not to risk to hit any of the problems that the skyline can have if used without silk gloves and full attention. I prefer to dedicate the attention to the result, not the gear. In photography i agree with the people that says that the best gear is the one that does not stands between you and the result but simply gets out of the way. Which is not the case if i use all the features of the Skyline.
I suppported strongly the system when there were tons of problems, countless hours were spent by many, many users and PH itself. Now, as i already wrote, the impression is that we still have issues but nobody cares. I linked a message 5 or 6 weeks old and since then no news, no "sorry we have issues but...ect etc" or "sorry we're working on it"...nothing.
Don't blame me if, whenever i feel the need for the remaining features, i look elsewhere.