AerialMediaPros.com Roll position off on Zenmuse Z15 gimbal "FIX"

Hey guys,

I have heard of some problems with the roll being off on some Zenmuse gimbals. If you have a problem where the Roll is always a few degrees off (Even after a warm up), Then this may be a fix for you. This fix came from one of our customers CAZ. It worked perfect for him so I thought I would share it just in case it can help someone else. Credit goes to CAZ for sharing this fix with us. Thanks a lot bud, I imagine it will help someone else.

I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for people attempting this fix. Please only attempt at YOUR OWN RISK.

Quote from CAZ

"The roll axis gimbal is secured to the servo shaft with three screws, one regular and two set-screws. Photo(1)

Then, there is groove milled in to the extruded aluminum casing around the shaft, (Photo2) and, as luck would have it, DJI milled a hole in the servo shaft within that groove. Photo(3)

Clearly, the design/engineering is such that they anticipated needing to make such adjustments/calibrations.

So.... With screwdriver and allen-wrench in hand, I set the Hex on a perfectly leveled table. Then:

1. Powered up the TX and connected the batteries on the Hex
2. Waited for the Z15 to completely stabilize
3. Powered on the Sony Nex5 and FPV downlink with the display set to the crosshairs
4. Loosened all three screws
5. Inserted the allen-wrench through the slot and into the hole in the shaft
6. Applied torque to the camera mount and gimbal in opposition to the roll axis servo shaft while using the allen-wrench to hold it stable
7. Repeated step 6 until the camera cross-hairs registered true level and remained there without any creep or drift.
8. Tightened all three screws and confirmed level with camera cross-hairs and bubble level on top of camera mount.
9. Powered down entire system and re-powered several times to confirm calibration

All is good.

Gimbal is smooth, steady, and level.

Caz"

View attachment 13101

View attachment 13102

View attachment 13103

Attachments

• photo1_zpsa74cc2b1.jpg
    photo1_zpsa74cc2b1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 526
  • photo3_zps46f90348.jpg
    photo3_zps46f90348.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 481
  • photo2_zpscaef369a.jpg
    photo2_zpscaef369a.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 462

vladoportos

Well this sort of work, if you are not afraid flying without one screw on gimball.. as on the picture one the big screw is going all the way to the shaft, you have to remove it completely to be able to rotate it manually, you can than adjust the roll ( which seems like everybody have issue with, including me ) and tighten the side screws... if you put the big screw back it will reset to the position you started with... so any other ideas how to fix this ?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Unfortunately it all depends upon the vintage of your Z15.

The large screw in picture 1 that goes right through the Roll shaft does not have to be touched. Instead, the motor shaft is rotated relative to the Tilt/Roll tray by loosening the two small, semi-concealed grub screws at the rear. But, and this is where the vintage of your unit is important, later releases of the Z15 have indents in the shaft for those two grub screws, which of course pull the tray back to its original off-center position when the grub screws are tightened. Earlier versions of the Z15 do not have these indents and therefore the Tilt/Roll tray can be rotated minutely without problem.

vladoportos

Actually I just figured it out :D and balanced this sucker finally, no more rotating video in post :D On the second picture in the first post where he put allen-wrench are actually 2 screws hidden, I unscrewed them both and put just one slightly tightened, turned on the gimball. Now I had to hold the brushless motor by fingers so it doesn't spin and than I could adjust the roll to perfection. Tightened the screw to lock it in place, turned off gimball and added the second screw. it went from this: http://imgur.com/9aHn9pn to this: ​http://i.imgur.com/iKnnUHy.jpg now some testing if it actually hold it :D