retracrable DIY

Thalios

Really well made video! smart!

I wonder how it works with heavier crafts like a CarbonCore Hexa/Octo? Do they have heavier rated of these "servos"?

anaka

Last edited by a moderator:

I have been thinking about building some for my big Skyjib x4. Since Its a heavy machine 8kg ish, I need a heavy duty set up. I saw a post of rc groups talking about using behotec worm drives, there a high quality option used by the turbine jet guys. And there not super expensive, I think you could build a set for less than 300 using these.
http://www.altecare.com/behoteceline.htm

But I'm not sure if I'm missing something, maybe theres a reason people don't make there own all the time?

anaka

i think that this class of landing gears can work pretty well also for big size frames
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ract_Suit_2_2_5m_Airframes_UK_Warehouse_.html

you can chose different dimensions of gears depending by the weight of your system
they are really cheap and light, you can stay easily around 50$ and 200gr weight total
in the place of $300 or more (s800 gears are even more expensive and heavy)

one more important aspect is the speed of operation
if you are in an emergency landing a fast opening gear can save your frame and camera

personally I would go for the model from Flymodelcomponents

anaka

well they look very cheap and robust, also a bit heavy and over sized, they manage 12 Kg airplane landing, it means that they can easily manage more that 15 Kg multirotor...do you have to manage all that weight? maybe you can go for a smaller model and save some weight...but you know what you need ;)

if you watch the video you can see that the operation speed is very low, they take several seconds to open...i ever consider an emergency situation
try to imagine that you have an expensive camera and gimbal on your multirotor and you have to land quickly, if your gear doesn't close in just 2 seconds you can destroy both camera, gimbal, props and probably multirotor frame

if I'm flying an heavy model probably i do it becouse I have to lift up some expensive stuff and don't want to save 100 € or $ on the landing gear to seriously damage all the rest that costs thousands...it doesn't make sense to me

obviously this is just my opinion

Thalios

Looks nice, but the travel distance is too much in my opinion. It seems to be over 90° which would be hard to fit legs on...

Also you're paying for a lot of extra hardware you don't need.

anaka

View attachment 14647
it looks that it travels 90° only

i'm sure that with a bit of work around it you can save weight and create very good gear

Attachments

• d_6882.jpg
    d_6882.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 167

Gbillerty

Dont know the exact weight of the machine but the retracts handle the weight of two 8000maH batteries. There is still wobble in the servoless retracts. I think I could work it out...