Replace gopro3 lens to reduce fisheye distortion or can video-editing software do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dma251

So I have a gopro hero 3 black that I want to use for some semi-pro ap work, and I'm troubled with the fisheye distortion. I have heard good things about the sunex lenses, but are they available for the hero 3?

I think I heard gopro cinema can remove the distortion, but is that for video or just still pics?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Cineform can remove fisheye but I have not had a lot of success, the results seem quite soft to me, perhaps they will make it okay in time, otherwise use Vreveal or Premier. You do need to choose settings and how and what you video or photograph for the best possible result. Remember that the GoPro is an action cam designed for using close up and it has a FOV of 170 degrees, woork with it and you can get some great results.

What is semi-pro work anyway, you do it commercially or you do it for fun, commercial GoPro is either acceptable of not and for fun you choose what is acceptable.

Pete

dma251

Semi-pro for me is where I work for two or three real-estate agents and do very simple shots for a very small amount of money a few times a month.

I think I need to find a narrower lens. I appreciate the advice!

jes1111

Semi-pro for me is where I work for two or three real-estate agents and do very simple shots for a very small amount of money a few times a month.
That may be your definition of "semi-pro" but it's every genuine professional's definition of PITA amateur competition skewing clients' pricing expectations and generally making it harder to earn a decent living in the field :)
I think I need to find a narrower lens.
With respect, I think you need to learn about photography before you try charging clients for it.

Sorry to single you out - I've had a bad day :black_eyed:

dma251

Are you for real?!?!? Seriously, tearing me down all the way from the UK for trying to ask a genuine question about aerial photography IN THE Aerial photography forum?!?!?

I certainly don't need advice from you about business. Carry-on with your lousy day.

jes1111

Are you for real?!?!? Seriously, tearing me down all the way from the UK for trying to ask a genuine question about aerial photography IN THE Aerial photography forum?!?!?

I certainly don't need advice from you about business. Carry-on with your lousy day.
Sorry to have riled you but there was a specific purpose in my swipe. You've obviously got the flying thing sorted and I don't doubt your business acumen. But you're talking about charging clients for photography whilst appearing, from your question, to know little about the subject. If that's not the case then I apologise and withdraw my remarks.

tstrike

pendejo grande
To answer your question, Ragecam makes a replacement lens for gp3 but don't waste your money on it, try and make due with what you have and save your money for a new gp3+ which from the side by side comparisons looks like they've managed to get a lot of the fisheye out or go with a small point n shoot. As soon as you crack open your gp3 you will void any warranty on your camera also the ragecams look really soft and they're hard to get focus right.

dma251

Thanks for the advice. I'd kinda been doubting my abilities lately with this and I guess I just needed that one last voice to convince me I'm not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.