Aeronavics / Droidworx Recommended Gimbals - 2014 and the ideal brushless solution

Bluerex

An open question to DW and other owners....

I built my Droidworx XM X4 with a Photohigher AV130 gimbal in mind. It flys beautifully and I love the way it just floats effortlessly with a Wookong controller calling the shots. But I was never really happy with the combination of the AV130 and Skyline rsgs.

Times change and now the world has turned to the new miracle of brushless gimbals (I can totally understand the pace that the game is changing and I have few regrets for spending the $1k+ dollars on outdated tech that now occupies the bottom drawer of my copter cabinet ).
BUT I am struggling with all the available options for mirror-less cameras like the Nex or BMPCC (spoilt for choice ain't we?) that are now available. I can (and have) built my own adaptor brackets and plates to fit other gimbals to the DW rail system (again no regrets :) ) but it all feels like a bit of a kludge....
So, if I may be so bold as to ask.... what professional level gimbals do Droidworks themselves like to recommend for their platforms and what are people flying successfully with the DW rail systems?

For the sake of argument, let's say Sony 5/6 or BMPCC size camera, 2 or 3 axis ('follow-me' not 360 degree) operation with a single person (with maybe an option for a dedicated cam operator) lifted by an octo (coax) XM platform .

Charles.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
If you are only going to use one camera with one lens then the Zenmuse range is damned hard to beat. Otherwise it would be something like a Movi M5.

Buzz_Roavr

I have the same platform and the same choice. Zenmuse is quite heavy for an xm-x4 though compared to the Av130 which I also use?

Bluerex

I sometimes think of trying the AV130 with a Radian or two, it seems a shame to see the poor thing abandoned with so little use (damn you RSCG!)
BUT I have to accept the rate of change in the gimbal world. I love the Zenmuse, but as has been mentioned, it is limited to one camera and one lens.... Also I hadn't considered the weight penalty (thanks Buzz).
I hadn't intended this rig to be a "heavy" heavy lifter and I may have to look at a bigger bird one day (especially if the GH4 proved to be as mind blowing as it looks) but for now I want to place it in the mid range (between GoPro and Panny/5d/Red) weight class (portability is also a big factor) with the BMPCC and Sony Nex5N as targeted image capturers with a couple of different lens options.

Thanks for the input and keep 'em coming as they say in the classics :)

Charles.

Buzz_Roavr

I have the GH4 and it 'JUST' fits on the AV130 without full tilt functionality.

It will only be any good for stills like this though. I think I'll have to have a specific platform for the GH4 so will be watching the S900 develop with interest.

You can pretty much buy a S900 package with Z15 for what it would cost to get it to work on the XM-X4!

PCMAerial

I'm not biased, but I have learned thus far it seems that:

Nex/BMCC/Panny = Zenmuse

Anything Bigger = Movi

The best advice I was ever given about these gimbals was to wait, and I'm steadily watching prices drop while fune tuning one gimbal and then taking my pick on another when the price drops. Don't jump TOO far ahead because tomorrow there will be a new concept. There are tons out there, some are better, most are worse. But in an everyday application those two gimbals seem to function very well and hold up to (usually) consistent standards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluerex

I'm not biased, but I have learned thus far it seems that:

Nex/BMCC/Panny = Zenmuse

Anything Bigger = Movi

The best advice I was ever given about these gimbals was to wait.

Can't argue with any of that... except that waiting is not my strong suit :)

There is some stunning stuff being shot on the BMPCC Zenmuse combo, but the lack of lens options and ability to feed things like a Ninja Star feel a bit limiting. My XM isn't really big enough to lift a Movi although that would solve the lens and external recorder requirements.

Exciting times and we are so spoilt for choice hehe

Charles.

PCMAerial

Yes, waiting is the difficult part lol. Love to save some $$$ but also want the newest and best thing out. Tough times out here for us.

The lack of lens options for specific cameras, as well as the lack of adding components to the Zenmuse option has seemed to be a slight quirk. This leads many to the purchase one of the countless gimbal options out there that run off of an AlexMos control or similar. The new 32bit is definitely nicer than it's predecessor. You can easily piece together a nice carbon fiber brushless 3 axis with 32bit Alexmos for a 1/4th of a Movi price. The tradeoff is in calibrating and fine tuning PID's and other settings which for some can go smoothly, and I've seen many want to throw them out the window!!

Tough choices, but goodluck and have fun! I built a few gimbals, tuned a few to work smooth, and a few didn't. At the end of the day, bought a Zenmuse and the time spent flying vs. fine tuning has been night and day. The extra money was well worth it. (Not affiliated in any way, just have been down the same road)