Recommendation for a Red Epic rig

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Simple question with what will likely be some not-so-simple answers...

I'm shopping for a Red Epic-capable rig for a friend of mine. We're not extremely happy with the current rig we've ended up with (ongoing issues, won't mention the source right now) so we're thinking about switching to something different.

I've been eyeballing a few different sources, but the majority of my knowledge base is in smaller quads and hexes, though I have experience flying film rigs (just not my own).

So here's the question...

If you had a $15-24k budget, what aircraft and gimbal would you get to carry a decked-out Red Epic down to a DSLR?

The budget range is large, so if you know of a less expensive system please share it (though I doubt something cheap would handle a heavy Epic). I'd PREFER to keep it as low as possible, but I know that the heavier lifters go up in price in a hurry.

I've been looking at Cinestar, Skyjib and a few others. I'd prefer RTF, and something with good support from the manufacturer.

Thanks for any help. I don't want to make a huge mistake in the purchase as I'm the guy that has to fly it :shame:

ETA: I don't know much about the S1000, did it have as many issues as the S800?

hjls3

I just built up a Gryphon Dynamics Frame and I love it - might check those out. I got the 900 Hex to carry GH4 but they certainly offer p some RED capable frames.

janoots2

Check out www.brushlessgimbals.com for the gimbal. Quick connect it to the frame style of your choice. Keep an eye on the KDE direct esc's and motors, they look sick: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DHAPn55melw.

Keep an eye on the new phobotics board coming out, wouldn't be the first to try it though.

If you want RTF, lift it with a phantom...I wouldn't trust that much $$$ in the air if I didn't build and test it, but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:

flappybird

The Sandbox
I suggest ditching the Epic and flying the GH4 99% of the jobs out there do not require an epic and the advantages it has over the GH4 are pretty slim when it comes to filming from a multirotor not to mention the s1000 will fly circles around every red epic rig out there. Plus you will get way better flight times, high altitude performance, and transportability. Flying an Epic has its place but is limited.

Old Man

Welcome to the Multirotor Forum Monkey. Tired Old Man from TFC here. If you're looking for something "off the shelf" I'll recommend John at Addictive RC. He's got a bit of a backlog though. If you can handle a DIY, and I know you can, again visit Addictive's site and peruse the Vulcan frames on display. An alternate is an RC Timer/Foxtech s1100 frame and some good motors and ESC's.

I tend to agree with the comments about flying the Epic from flappybird, but I know who your backer is and what he does.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Probably getting off track a bit here..... but should Mad Monkey switch to the Panasonic GH4, then the Cinestar Octocopter 1100 would be a good choice..... just can't be folded down though.... but the tripod landing gear, yaw motor cage concept is hard to beat IMHO.

I suggest ditching the Epic and flying the GH4 99% of the jobs out there do not require an epic and the advantages it has over the GH4 are pretty slim when it comes to filming from a multirotor not to mention the s1000 will fly circles around every red epic rig out there. Plus you will get way better flight times, high altitude performance, and transportability. Flying an Epic has its place but is limited.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Some of those Gryphon frames look awesome!

If you want RTF, lift it with a phantom...

Er... I don't think a Phantom will lift an Epic, unless there's a bigger Phantom I haven't heard of. Thanks for the gimbal link!

Welcome to the Multirotor Forum Monkey. Tired Old Man from TFC here. If you're looking for something "off the shelf" I'll recommend John at Addictive RC. He's got a bit of a backlog though. If you can handle a DIY, and I know you can, again visit Addictive's site and peruse the Vulcan frames on display. An alternate is an RC Timer/Foxtech s1100 frame and some good motors and ESC's.

I tend to agree with the comments about flying the Epic from flappybird, but I know who your backer is and what he does.

Hey TOM :nevreness: I would have zero issues building a rig, but at the moment we really need to get the show on the road; we've already been delayed for a long time because of the issues I mentioned, and I'd trust a solid company to get us something usable for the time being before starting in on building the rigs myself, not to mention the whole research and decision-making can of worms that goes along with it. Boss man is also wanting a rig specifically for the GH4 and GoPro, so that will likely be something a little smaller that I would have extra time to build myself. I just don't want to say "Hey, I can build it!" and then it's on my head when something goes wrong... not to mention I'm in the middle of a bunch of family stuff (moving several family members, getting myself settled into a place, no real build space except a little table, etc).

Those Vulcans look pretty good though... very industrial!

Probably getting off track a bit here..... but should Mad Monkey switch to the Panasonic GH4, then the Cinestar Octocopter 1100 would be a good choice..... just can't be folded down though.... but the tripod landing gear, yaw motor cage concept is hard to beat IMHO.

Cinestar + Movi was one of our original choices, but the higher price killed that idea (for the time being). Speaking of folding, that's a BIG plus in my book, which is the reason I really liked the Skyjib octo.

I'm assuming the Ronin is going to require a pretty strong rig to lift it + a decked out Epic... what is that, like 25lbs total?

What are all your feelings on the Zenmuse Z15 for the GH3/GH4? After doing a little research it looks like the GH3 model is compatible with the GH4 with an HDMI adapter.

Old Man

I'm with gtranquilla all the way when it comes to the Cinestar yaw cage and landing gear. For a GH3/GH4 the Movi 5 would be vastly superior to the Zenmuse plus you have the ability to use more than one camera on it. With the Movi if something breaks you have repair options. Not so with pretty much anything DJI, and for what you are going to be doing you'll want support as close as you can have it. Until you've flown that gimbal base/gear set up that rotates 360* independent of the top rotor assembly you can't appreciate just how wonderful it is. Plus you'll never have a gear failure. That base and Movi are a match made in Heaven. Should be since Cinestar, Radian, and Movi all come out of the same house.

Vulcan does a couple of folders and something I really, really like is the Mantis arms for keeping propellers out of the field of view. I would have suggested Aerial Media Pros as one of the places to obtain a ready made rig but I understand they got hit pretty hard in a break in over the holiday. So for a quick turn around you have ATI in Clackamas, OR and Quadrocopter in Montana. Both good outfits.

OTH, I am close with a group that could put one together for you and dial it in if you wanted to talk in that direction. In Texas to boot. DFW area. They could if they had to even make up a brushless gimbal but that would have to backseat the stuff we are doing for ourselves at the moment. I agree with the earlier mention of the KDE motors and ESC's. All the T-Motor stuff is made by SunnySky. You want high lift and you want rotor diameter as small as you can get away with. You do not want a quad.

As for a Go Pro rig, they already have a 40+ minute unit for those. Using Pixhawk to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I'm with gtranquilla all the way when it comes to the Cinestar yaw cage and landing gear. For a GH3/GH4 the Movi 5 would be vastly superior to the Zenmuse plus you have the ability to use more than one camera on it. With the Movi if something breaks you have repair options. Not so with pretty much anything DJI, and for what you are going to be doing you'll want support as close as you can have it. Until you've flown that gimbal base/gear set up that rotates 360* independent of the top rotor assembly you can't appreciate just how wonderful it is. Plus you'll never have a gear failure. That base and Movi are a match made in Heaven. Should be since Cinestar, Radian, and Movi all come out of the same house.

Vulcan does a couple of folders and something I really, really like is the Mantis arms for keeping propellers out of the field of view. I would have suggested Aerial Media Pros as one of the places to obtain a ready made rig but I understand they got hit pretty hard in a break in over the holiday. So for a quick turn around you have ATI in Clackamas, OR and Quadrocopter in Montana. Both good outfits.

OTH, I am close with a group that could put one together for you and dial it in if you wanted to talk in that direction. In Texas to boot. DFW area. They could if they had to even make up a brushless gimbal but that would have to backseat the stuff we are doing for ourselves at the moment. I agree with the earlier mention of the KDE motors and ESC's. All the T-Motor stuff is made by SunnySky. You want high lift and you want rotor diameter as small as you can get away with. You do not want a quad.

As for a Go Pro rig, they already have a 40+ minute unit for those. Using Pixhawk to boot.

That was something I really, really liked about the Cinestar setup... I'm leery of retracts, especially since I already had one stick in the raised position on the current rig. Honestly, they're so small I don't know if I'd trust them on an F550 much less a 1200mm X8!

PLEASE PM me the info on the DFW guys! I'm just north of Ft. Worth and the boss man is right in the middle of the Metroplex... that would be ideal if they worked out. Would they be willing to set up something like a Vulcan frame or do they have their own line?

A GoPro rig with 40 minute flight time? Sign me up! I'd get bored twice with that! :D