Receiver Antenna placement?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey folks,

Moving along with my first build using a Futaba R7008SB receiver, and I came across the warning in the Tx manual (oddly, it's missing in the actual Rx manual!!!) that the dual antennas should be kept at least 1/2" away from metal/carbon conductive material etc. I guess in hindsight it seemed too easy to place them on the arms (aluminum) - since they want to be at 90 degrees from each other. Any suggestions about where most people place these things?

Thanks

Scott

FlyGirl

Hey folks,

Moving along with my first build using a Futaba R7008SB receiver, and I came across the warning in the Tx manual (oddly, it's missing in the actual Rx manual!!!) that the dual antennas should be kept at least 1/2" away from metal/carbon conductive material etc. I guess in hindsight it seemed too easy to place them on the arms (aluminum) - since they want to be at 90 degrees from each other. Any suggestions about where most people place these things?

Thanks

Scott

I don't have one but I see a lot of MRs with what look like rabbit ear TV antennas so that there is 90 deg between the two. Like this....

View attachment 15032

Attachments

• Foto_preview_featured.jpg
    Foto_preview_featured.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 957

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Flygirl! Seems like that is a nifty add-on to the receiver. I think for this particular model (R7008) it would block a couple features on that face of the receiver (ext power cable input & mode switching). But that gives me a couple good ideas. Thanks for the pic!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks again flygirl. My google searches were coming up with nothing but people trying to adapt their TVs to a modern antenna from the old rabbit ears!

I'd rather make it myself anyway. This link should give me some good ideas. I was about to strap them to some chop sticks - since the GPS hood is already giving the build a Japanese rock garden vibe. :)

FlyGirl

Thanks again flygirl. My google searches were coming up with nothing but people trying to adapt their TVs to a modern antenna from the old rabbit ears!

I'd rather make it myself anyway. This link should give me some good ideas. I was about to strap them to some chop sticks - since the GPS hood is already giving the build a Japanese rock garden vibe. :)

ROFL!!!! I'd love to see the chopsticks Moto! ;)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Way over engineered in my view, I just warm up some plastic pushrod tube tube and put appropriate bends, probably less than 1 gram.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Where were ya BEFORE I poured my heart and soul into this gift to modern engineering?

Well, I don't know what plastic push rod tube is, but I can't imagine it sticks with a Far East theme. So where's the fun in that? And I can promise you, there is nothing ENGINEERED about this little wonder, let alone over-engineered :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheshirecat

I used two cocktail swizzle sticks, just cut off the disc at the end, glue on a couple of crimp on electrical screw terminals, some heat shrink and a cable tie, Job done.

Attachments

• DSC00753.jpg
    DSC00753.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC00754.jpg
    DSC00754.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 438