Reccomendation for gimbal for Sony DCR-PC8 and FLIR PathfindIR

triise

Hi folks!

Looking for a brushless gimbal til put my old Sony DCR-PC8 SD dv-cam on, and also my brand new FLIR PathfindIR. They weigh in on aprx 900g together. Ive looked at some of the ARRIS, but they seem to fit only the PathfindIR, not the sony. Maybe I need two separate gimbals?

Any views on this?

FerdinandK

Whatever gimbal you might find I would put them both on the same gimbal, since then you are able to zoom in (with the Sony) what you detected with the flir.

Here my setup with Sony CX250 and Flir Tau 640:
20130823_162216.jpg

Here a video:

Here the gimbal I am using:
http://www.rctimer.com/product_912.html

best regards

Ferdinand

Also you possibly go for a new Camcorder, since the DCR-PC8 seems to be outdated and also has quite inconvenient dimension.

Last edited by a moderator:

triise

Thanks for the reply Ferdinand!

I also have a Canon HF100 camera, which I think I'll be using instead. I'll just have to find out how to remotely operate the zoom. What du you use?

Also this will be on a ARRIS M680-4S Quad, so I'm curious to find out if I need a 3-axis gimbal for the yaw-stabilization. What do you think, do I need it? Or is it just extra weight? This setup will mostly be used for SAR / looking for injured wildlife (moose, deer etc).

I really love your setup! How is your flighttime? And which Videolink / RC are you using? Range?

Greetings from (freezing) northern Norway! :cold:

FerdinandK

If it is not for Video, there is no need for a 3rd axis.

The flighttime of this copter is about 30min, range 2km, FPV-Equip is iftrontech TX/RX. RC is an Hitec Aurora9

best regards
Ferdinand

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi folks!

Looking for a brushless gimbal til put my old Sony DCR-PC8 SD dv-cam on, and also my brand new FLIR PathfindIR. They weigh in on aprx 900g together. Ive looked at some of the ARRIS, but they seem to fit only the PathfindIR, not the sony. Maybe I need two separate gimbals?

Any views on this?

Take a look at the Photohigher IDD(indirectdrive) AV200 its lighter than most and much more forgiving on the tuning than a DD gimbal. At to it the G-Lock and its bloody lovely.

Dave

triise

Thanks for the input Dave and Ferdinand!

I decided to give the RCTimers 2-axis gimbal a try first as the price was quite a bit lower than the Photohigher gimbal. I'll check it out for my use with the FLIR and Canon HF100, and maybe upgrade later. Your footage look very good Ferdinand, and if this is what I get, its very sufficient for my needs. I really don't need film production quality stabilization for the search&rescue work.

However Ferdinand, was it hard to balance / tune the Gimbal? I bought the kit with RCTimer controller and IMU.

Tore

FerdinandK

It is staight forward to balance the gimbal. Also the setup in the software was not too difficult, but I am using an Alexmos-board.

Edit: To zoom I use a servo that presses the buttons.

best regards
Ferdinand

triise

. Also the setup in the software was not too difficult, but I am using an Alexmos-board.

I can definitely understand why... I just used 8 hours trying to find out how to configure the RC-timer 2-axis board, and I'm no closer to a solution. I'm ordering a Alexmos board today. (I'm more of a plug and play guy!) :)

triise

Ok, this is my first flight with my ARRIS Quad and the RCtimer gimbal with a FLIR PathfindIR on. Sorry about the low quality video, but its taken from the video link and compressed in my DVR solution to some poor mp4 file.

Last edited by a moderator: