Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

Questions about live preview of go pro drone mount visual range.

Discussion in 'Beginners Drone Forum' started by Jackhammerjenkins, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Jackhammerjenkins

Jackhammerjenkins New Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Canada
    Posted by Jackhammerjenkins, Dec 1, 2019 #1
    Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a mega noob question but I'm really struggling to find the information I'm looking for online so I thought I would ask the professionals directly.

I'm hoping to buy an action camera to use for sports filming, with the hope of eventually buying a camera-less drone and mounting the camera onto it to capture aerial footage as well. I was hoping to be able to connect the camera to a smart phone so that I can simultaneously record the footage while previewing it in order to get first person view of the drones flight path.

From what I've read Go pro cameras 4 onward have a 'live preview' feature on the go pro app which streams the camera footage straight to your phone so you can see where you're flying, but the go pro website ( https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/Wi-Fi-Range ) states that the camera/app only has a range of 30-50 feet.

I don't understand how this can be used as a "fpv" of the drones flight through your camera if it only allows you to fly 10-20 metres away.

I know I must be misunderstanding something or over expecting the abilities of a go pro set up on a drone but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.