Questions about live preview of go pro drone mount visual range.

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a mega noob question but I'm really struggling to find the information I'm looking for online so I thought I would ask the professionals directly.

I'm hoping to buy an action camera to use for sports filming, with the hope of eventually buying a camera-less drone and mounting the camera onto it to capture aerial footage as well. I was hoping to be able to connect the camera to a smart phone so that I can simultaneously record the footage while previewing it in order to get first person view of the drones flight path.

From what I've read Go pro cameras 4 onward have a 'live preview' feature on the go pro app which streams the camera footage straight to your phone so you can see where you're flying, but the go pro website ( https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/Wi-Fi-Range ) states that the camera/app only has a range of 30-50 feet.

I don't understand how this can be used as a "fpv" of the drones flight through your camera if it only allows you to fly 10-20 metres away.

I know I must be misunderstanding something or over expecting the abilities of a go pro set up on a drone but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.