Hoverfly Questions about flight modes...

I am considering purchasing a HoverflyPro and HoverflyGPS for my next hex. I will admit, however, that I am a bit confused by the flight-modes and controls as described in the manual(s). I don't suppose that I could get some feedback and see if I'm on the right track? I definitely have questions...

From what I understand, controlling the flight-modes of a HoverflyPro w. GPS requires three switches: Two two-position switches and one three-position switch.
The first switch turns Auto-Leveling on and off.
The second switch turns Altitude Hold on and off.
The third switch (The three position switch) controls GPS functions: Off, Position Hold and Return To Home.
Note: This represents 12 combinations.

In addition to these flight modes, there is also 'carefree' mode which (from what I understand) must be enabled in software rather than by a switch. This doubles the number of possible flight-mode setting-combinations to 24. :)

From what I understand, DJI's 'Attitude' mode is the equivalent of Hoverfly's Auto-Leveling + Altitude Hold.
DJI's GPS Attitude mode is the equivalent to Hoverfly's Altitude Hold + Position Hold
Carefree mode is the equivalent of DJI's Intelligent Orientation Control in Course Lock mode, but apparently only works when Auto Leveling is turned on.

The manual mentions that the Hoverfly can't be armed while Altitude Hold is enabled. Can it be armed while Position Hold is enabled? Can Altitude Hold be turned on after the Hoverfly is armed but before it has launched?

It seems to me that Position Hold has the side-effect of keeping the craft level over a fixed point; how do the flight characteristics change if Auto-Leveling is enabled as well? If Auto-Leveling changes the flight characteristics of Position Hold flight, does it also change the flight characteristics of Return To Home? How so?

Will carefree mode work when the GPS switch is turned to the 'off' position?

Aerovideo

Wow, that's a lot of good questions. Although I think you may be over complicating things a bit but I think you've got a pretty good handle on it with your DJI comparison.

You are correct in the number and type of switches the HoverflyPro+GPS combo uses. Although as you'll see below they overlap so you aren't looking at 12 combinations really.

A couple of things that might help clear things up:

1) When GPS Position Hold or RTH is enabled, autolevel is enabled as well so there is no need to turn on autolevel when you turn on PH. Flight characteristics will remain the same.

2) The altitude hold is a little different than DJI. Think of the altitude hold switch as holding the altitude that you are currently at when you flip the switch. Not necessarily just turning on and off the feature. So no, you wouldn't want to turn on altitude hold on the ground. Once it's enabled in the air you can go up or down with the throttle control and when you return the throttle to mid stick it should hold the new altitude.

I haven't used the carefree mode so I can't really help you there, sorry.

Hope that helps!

I suppose that I'm still a bit confused about Altitude Hold and the launch sequence...If you can go up using the throttle control while the aircraft is in Altitude Hold mode, why would Altitude Hold interfere with take-off? Ah, well. I suppose I'll find out when I actually get my hex flying. :)

How many of these combinations do folks actually use? If many of these combinations are rarely (if ever) used, is it possible to use channel-mixing to program the commonly-used combinations to a single switch? For example, if I'm very-rarely going to be turning off Auto Leveling...could I just program a two-position switch to send signals on both channel 5 and 6?

Stacky

I suppose that I'm still a bit confused about Altitude Hold and the launch sequence...If you can go up using the throttle control while the aircraft is in Altitude Hold mode, why would Altitude Hold interfere with take-off? Ah, well. I suppose I'll find out when I actually get my hex flying. :)

How many of these combinations do folks actually use? If many of these combinations are rarely (if ever) used, is it possible to use channel-mixing to program the commonly-used combinations to a single switch? For example, if I'm very-rarely going to be turning off Auto Leveling...could I just program a two-position switch to send signals on both channel 5 and 6?

I think if you can it would be a good idea to try and learn to fly without AL turned on. Maybe on another smaller quad with a KK2 board or similar. I started out fully manual and could fly quite happily like that. I got used to the HFP AL mode and ended up having my manual mode flying deteriorate. The reason its a good idea to fly without AL turned on is that if you are trying to film with a decent quality camera the manual flying mode gives you smoother and more controlled flight and movement.
I just had a short flight in the backyard in breezy conditions with my HFP Hexa and the AL is constantly correcting for wind induced movements, when i went to no AL the flight in the wind was far far smoother and controlled.

To me Altitude Hold is all about hold the multi in one spot so taking off with AH on seems a bit redundant.

I learned to fly fully manual, but I have to admit that I currently prefer flying in DJI's 'Attitude' mode (equivalent to AL + AH). I also use DJI's 'GPS Attitude' mode (equivalent to AH + PH) for certain panning shots, and I have to admit that I like DJI's IOC (Carefree) when I'm panning while moving in a constant direction. I do, however, recognize that every bird is different and I'll have to learn new skills when flying my next hex.

I guess I'm just looking to winnow the list of combinations of flight-mode settings (24!!) down to a more manageable number. And learning how other people are using their HFPro + GPS boards can only help.

Thank you,

- Jareth

Aerovideo

I can't say that I ever really thought to take off with altitude hold on, maybe it would work. Seems counter intuitive to want to hold your altitude to the ground though :)

I always fly in manual mode so I really never thought of all the combinations there are.

To me it's pretty black and white. I can turn on/off altitude hold if I want to hold my altitude. I can turn on/off auto level if I ever wanted to use that. I can turn on and off gps hold when I want to hold my position. And I can turn on/off RTH. Never played with magnetic hold or the carefree mode so I can't speak to those. I'm pretty sure carefree mode would make me crash... hehe

Oh plus I do most if not all my flying via FPV so manual is best there.

Sorry, not much more help than that.

I know. That is mentioned in my post.

My question was if Altitude Hold be turned on after the Hoverfly is armed but before it has launched, or if the HoverflyPro could be armed while Position Hold was enabled.

In any case...I'll be able to find out for myself soon. My VulcanUAV 900 Hexa is coming together nicely. :)