Aeronavics / Droidworx Question regarding recommended ESC setup on Skyjib8 Ti QR

Matt@UAVAmerica

This is my first Aeronavics build and I have a question regarding the recommended setup PDF document that Aeronavics publishes. Recommended is the T-Motor 40A ESC. On other heavy lift builds in the past, I have utilized Castle Creations 75A ESC based on recommendations from the manufaturer. Are the T-Motor ESCs rated differently? I know that the motor/prop/battery setup will not draw more than 40A but it seems to be cutting it close with a 40A ESC. Any input would be appreciated in advance, thanks.

cabo_wabo

The answer depends on what motors you're using plus a decent (like 50%) safety margin. I've used the T-Motor 60's on AXI 2820's and 2826's, both with 37A peak draw (40's have no margin for error here ! A step up would be anything with freewheeling which keeps the ESC from overheating during deceleration. The best of that type would be made YGE (the original German ones) or the inexpensive HK clones from YEP or YGE. They're all excellent derivative designs and very cool running. The Castle Edge series are ok but will get hot, even with the heatsinks as they don't have active freewheeling but they do support fast multirotor throttle response. The absolute best would be either a Herkules III or the latest from MK. They're bulletproof and have regenerative braking for top performance and charge your LiPo's during deceleration. Most of the top multi builds use Herkules as they are fully burned-in and ultra reliable.

+1
if you want reliability and quality only Herkules III will do. If you are building to a set budget get TGY Plush or simillar at 60 amps per esc.