Question regarding carbon fibre frame

Morrolan

Multi-Rotor Newbie
Hi All,

My apologies for the duplicate thread, I clicked close by accident on the previous.

I've flown fixed-wing and micro-heli for a while, but recently decided to go for a Tricopter. I opted for a full carbon fibre Turnigy Talon frame.

My question surrounds my issues mounting the tail servo to the frame. The holes that were pre-drilled in the carbon fibre are about 1.5mm - 2mm diameter. The smallest nuts and bolts I've found are M2 size, and do not fit through the hole. In the image below, I'm talking about the lowest piece of carbon fibre, with a hole cut-out for the servo. In that piece you can see the 2 small holes, and what I want to know, is how safe is it to enlarge these holes using a 2.5mm drill-bit by hand? The last thing I want to do is break it (due to the awesomely bad turnaround times from Hobbyking), and I also want to try and avoid hot-glue. I bought carbon fibre because I like the sleek look, and a big blob of hot glue would just look ugly.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g/25561(4).jpg

Many thanks for your time, and any help or advice is always appreciated.

Cheers,
Morrolan

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
You're probably okay to enlarge the holes a little, but be careful as they're quite near the edge of the frame. Maybe some gentle filing?

Morrolan

Multi-Rotor Newbie
Benjamin,

Thats why I was thinking of going to the smallest bolts I can get away with, i.e. M2 size, and also why I was going to do the drilling by hand (I have a handheld drill chuck for intricate work) - no power involved. I am very conscious of it being near the edge of the frame, and I just wanted to ensure that drilling it wouldn't start unravelling strands of fibre or something else I hadn't thought of :)