Question about UAV configurations

In terms of heavy lift capability's what's the difference between a straight octo set up as opposed to the octo X where the props are stacked on top of each other? Does the octo X have better lift? which one is better in high winds? Does one control better that the other? Why would one choose one configuration over the other?

dazzab

Can't speak for others but I decided to use a coax rather than a flat 8 because:
There's a perception that the coax will fly better in wind and,
A coax is physically smaller and therefore easier for me to transport.
It's generally stated that a coax configuration results in around 5-10% reduction in lift over a flat octo.

Hmm....It seems to me that stick commands with a coax set up would have more authority. Seems like the throttle would have more punch to it as well but it also makes sense that you lose a little lift capability like you mentioned.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
agree with what @dazzab had to say.

much better windy day performance and less chance of props dropping down into view when flying forward.

smaller too which is a bonus!

Jebarus

If the smaller size of the coax allows you to install larger props, you might not notice the loss in performance from the coax, as larger props compensate.

SamaraMedia

@Bartman Looking to build my first X8 this winter, based on some old UAP parts and 16mm booms. I've been concerned that with the lower motors that the props might become an issue in the camera's view but you seem to think otherwise. I know that if I get on my hex's the props will get in view using my GoPro on the medium FOV. Looking to build out at about 800-850 size and max out on 14" props, probably KDE 2814 515kv's and 4 or 6 s batteries.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
@Bartman Looking to build my first X8 this winter, based on some old UAP parts and 16mm booms. I've been concerned that with the lower motors that the props might become an issue in the camera's view but you seem to think otherwise. I know that if I get on my hex's the props will get in view using my GoPro on the medium FOV. Looking to build out at about 800-850 size and max out on 14" props, probably KDE 2814 515kv's and 4 or 6 s batteries.

Make sure you do some tests before you commit. 16mm booms might not be stout enough for 2x motors out at the end of a X8 in the size you're speaking about. That's a bunch of weight, even for the smaller motors.

I also think that the typical larger camera mount used on many X8 is hanging lower, helping a bit with the props in the shot - unless you're really ripping FF :)