Question About Installing 12V LED Strips to 6S Battery on DJI F450

boba7523

Hi Everyone!

I am trying to install these LED strips to my upcoming DJI F450 build and have a question about the wiring.

I'd like to solder them directly onto the F450's PDB, however, my quad will be running 6S lipo, and these operate on 12V. I will be using the Naza V2, which includes the PMU. From looking at specs of Naza PMU, it draws 5V, which means I can't connect to these.

How do I go about installing these 12V LED strips to my quad running 6S lipo if I want to solder the LEDs directly to the PDB?

Thanks!

Old Man

I agree, the BEC is the smart way to go. It separates your lights from the rest of the electrical system and much easier to install than soldering to a PDB. Build a wye to split off the main power supply to handle the BEC.

boba7523

Wow thanks guys!

Yep i'll be installing a BEC.

So i basically disconnect the positive (+) from one of the ESC and replace and solder it to the BEC"s input (+) positive? If so, could I also do it from the PDB instead of the ESC?

boba7523

Nope, connect the BEC input directly to the battery, you need to make sure your BEC can handle 6S though, simple buck regulator set to 12V will be cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gib-Buck-Co...047?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e02dd2ef

Hi Pete,

If I got one of these BECs mentioned by others in this thread, then I wouldn't need the buck regulator right since that BEC works on 6S lipo.

So connect BEC to battery's balance connector? Why do some people connect it to one of the ESCs?