Purchasing my First Copter with Camera Mount - advice welcome

digishack

Hi All,

I'm planning on purchasing my first copter with camera mount in the very near future and I just wanted to make sure I am on the right track so any feedback or comments would be much appreciated.

I have some experience flying RC helicopters and also a mini quadcopter and I am a keen photographer so I thought I'd combine the two and buy a copter with a camera mount. Maybe one day I may even be able to turn it into a business.

I have done quite a bit of research and have narrowed the copter down to 2:
Am I on the right track here? Are these good value? Is there something better out there? I'm an engineer so don't mind building the kit myself.

As for the camera, I mainly would like to take still photos but video would also be useful. I don't need FPV, just the ability to be able to remotely activate the camera shutter and switch between video and photo modes.

I have found the following products that can do this:
All these products seem good but is there one that people can recommend?

Choosing a camera has also been challenging. I have a Canon 7D but that is way too heavy. Initially I was thinking a Canon 550D as it is fairly light and can be remotely controlled fairly easily but maybe that is overkill for my first project? Can anyone recommend a compact camera that can be controlled remotely to get me started? The Nex series gets mentioned quite a bit but it is quite expensive.

Is it difficult to frame a photo without live view on the ground?

Sorry for all the questions but I have a lot to learn! Thanks in advance!

Cheers