Prop Pitch

Question. What does changing the prop pitch do for the thrust and power.
So if I was to use a 9 inch prop with a pitch of 6 and got say 500g thrust what would changing to a 9x5 do to the thrust?
I understand that changing the prop size makes a difference with the bigger prop making the motor work harder cause I have checked that out comparing my 8 inch to the 10 inch props on my F450, The motor gets really warm with the 10inch but stays cool with the 8 inch.
Any one want to take on the answer here?
Regards
Crispy

CdA D

First I would say that Thrust and Power are basically the same. The more pitch the more thrust, but you also have more vibration caused by more resistance. That's just my guess.

So are you saying that if I change from 5 to 6 then I get more thrust and more vibration to go along with it?

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

CdA D

My best guess, yes. I also think that the vibration will be minamal and that your anti-vibration/isolation sys will handle it. If not then you'll have to think about going back to lesser pitch props ie: 6-5.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
A properly balanced propeller should not vibrate no matter what the pitch.

Prop pitch is a measurement of how far the prop should move in space if propelling itself.

So a prop with a pitch of 5 should move 5 inches forward for each revolution. A prop pitch of 6 should move 6 inches forward for every revolution.

Since we are nut using the thrust to move forward per say, that movement is made into “hover thrust’ for the lack of a better word.

Now obviously moving a 6 compared to a 5 will use slightly more power if both props are 9” in diameter.
So obviously you are gaining thrust but consuming more power. This in turn can make things run hotter and efficiency can suffer.

So finding the right prop for the task is crucial.

My best guess, yes. I also think that the vibration will be minamal and that your anti-vibration/isolation sys will handle it. If not then you'll have to think about going back to lesser pitch props ie: 6-5.

I ready don't like when you say my best guess. I want cold hard facts please. lol

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

It is interesting that when talking about boat props the higher the pitch the faster top end speed will be but the lower the pitch the more grunt you have for pulling but you loose in speed.
I wonder if it is the same moving air?
Regards
Crispy

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
It is interesting that when talking about boat props the higher the pitch the faster top end speed will be but the lower the pitch the more grunt you have for pulling but you loose in speed.
I wonder if it is the same moving air?
Regards
Crispy

100% the same.
For giant scale planes, the lower the pitch and the larger the prop, the better for “torque” 3D flying.
The higher the pitch and the smaller the prop = SPEED.

Same applies to multi rotors, but so many factors play in, such as weight,,,

bigholty

ok im a total noob to all this , so if you go to a bigger prop same pitch as the smaller prop your displacing more air at a slower RPM , would that require more amps pull on the motor at the lower rpm ?? but isnt it like a bigger engine on a car the lower the rpm the less energy used if you are only trying to maintain a certain speed , but with a smaller engine / motor you lose out on acceleration as the motor isnt powerful enough to spin the props fast enough...
just trying to understand the ideas behind it all .
if i get my TBS and use smaller motors as the quad will be lighter ( would i get more flying time ) till i get more experienced and start adding more equipment to it.... do i need to ?? add bigger motors and props or just spin the props faster ??