Prop balancing?

MrTommy

Is this important for a nooooob?

Just my opinion, but I don't think prop balancing is something you need to worry about right off the bat. Maybe later if you have a couple crashes (or less than perfect landings) and you've chipped the props. My Phantom 2 Vision seems to be flying just fine out of the box. However, I did buy another spare set of props in anticipation of the bad landing - ha.

Some 'pilots' balance their props right away, and I may get to that point someday, but right now I'm just enjoying the flying part.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
There seem to be a few people who feel the naza is particularly sensitive to vibrations and a possible cause for failure. I would say its not important unless you are taking video. But it's also really easy to balance props. Get in the habit now. Just do a quick horizontal balance and stick some scotch tape under the lighter blade right in the middle.

t smith

I balanced mine and could hardly tell the difference but that was cheap Turnigy nylons, only took a little nail polish on the light end to level them out. What really made a difference was swapping to a carbon composite prop from RCMC, these are great for the $$, I can't imagine how nice real carbon fiber props must be.

I balanced my first blade today. Pretty cool how little material does the trick. I used sandpaper on the cupped side of the heavy prop (per the instructions on the balancer)

I think I like that better than tape as it's super easy to sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
there are a handful of methods that all work. I've always used clear 3m scotch tape and NEVER had an issue with it coming off. I dont like sanding material off of a blade. If its that little that needs to be balanced i would rather use nail polish on the other blade. You certainly wouldnt sand a nice carbon prop or a wood prop as you would have to reseal it afterward. The nice thing with certain plastic props like slow flys are that there is very minimal material in the hub which means you can get away without balancing the hub. Balancing wood props or APC thins can be a real PITA.

Ya, gotcha. These were the 10" props that come with the dji 450 kit so I don't think they need to be sealed up. Anyway, it's pretty cool to see how precise you can get with these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk