Problems Calibrating ESCs

Quinton

OK I am at a complete loss here.
Everything is set up as should be, Wookong settings all working as should be.
Was just going to calibrate the ESCs throttle.
This is the problem, I cant even get it to work, cant even get into the programming part.

My ESCs were pre-programmed before I got them, so disconnected the Lipo turned transmitter on and put throttle up full, and plugged Lipos in.
Get the normal 1,2,3 then 4 secs later 1 more beep.
Nothing is reversed.

Disconnected all the motors, took 1 ESC and plugged it into the RX channel 3, my end points are all set to 100%, plugged lipo in and get a constant fast beep, that tells me that the throttle position is high.

I cant even get into program mode, and it wont calibrate, I have tried setting throttle end points lower and still the same thing.

I am using Hobby Wing Flyfun Opto ESCs, with Futaba 14SG and R70008SB rx through S-Bus on a Hexacopter-V
http://www.hobbyhot.com/hobbywing/hobbywing_manuals/HW-01-V4.pdf

Everything works as it should, all sticks/motors etc, it just wont let me into calibration/programming mode.
Anyone any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

econfly

I just happened to have used the same setup (radio and receiver) to program some T-Motor ESCs this week. Here is what I did (maybe this will help, maybe not). I put the 7008SB in mode A (so channel three is mapped to port 3 on the receiver, not port 11 as in the more useful modes C/D). Then I plugged a single ESC into the receiver port 3. Next I powered up the radio, then moved throttle to full. Then I connected LiPo power to the ESC. After a couple of beeps confirming full throttle, I moved throttle to low. That produced the tones confirming low throttle set. The remainder of programming I did using the card (the credit-card sized device made just for ESC programming). Looking at the servo monitor on the radio my throttle endpoints are -100,100. I didn't think about it at the time -- this being the first non-DJI ESCs I have used, and thus the first I have ever needed to program -- but I realize now I had the throttle signal as it is setup for NAZA (which is reversed on the Futaba radio).

Quinton

I thought you were onto something there, as I was in Mode D which of course is channel 11 (for 3)
So I Put it into mode A and, got the exact same problem, just a bleep every 2 seconds :( after the initial 1,2,3..bleep :(
Depression is setting in.

econfly

I thought you were onto something there, as I was in Mode D which of course is channel 11 (for 3)
So I Put it into mode A and, got the exact same problem, just a bleep every 2 seconds :( after the initial 1,2,3..bleep :(
Depression is setting in.

Did you try reversing the throttle on the radio? Mine is reversed on the radio and that worked for me with the ESCs I have (again, for what it's worth).

Quinton

OK Finally, got it sussed, was keeping me up at night :)
Didn't work using S-Bus for some reason.

I Took it out of D-Bus and put it into tradition, took a servo cable from Throttle on the Wookong and put it into channel 7/8, then plugged the ESC into the throttle channel, and all worked well.
Cant believe how much better all the motors spin and start up at the same time now, I could even put it into "motor Idle Speed" low, and they would all start/stop exactly the same time.
Nt sure if it was the right way to do it but it worked, and I now understand the importance of calibrating the ESCs with a transmitter.