Predictions for 2016, let's hear yours!

Av8Chuck

I think it is time to revisit this thread and ask the question for 2016!

best regards
Ferdinand

Good catch, that's funny.

In 2015 some skier will almost be hit by a drone and every idiot pundit will break their arms patting themselves on the back taking credit for predicting the enevitable.

3DR will be out of business..

DJI will rule the world and the transformation will be complete. We become the drones!

Old Man

If you spend much time in the corporate world you might believe we became the drones some time ago.

FerdinandK

My personal predictions/goals for 2016 are
-3h of flying time at 30km/h average speed (with FPV, pure electric).
-1h of flying time with 10kg payload at 30km/h average speed (pure electric).
30min of flying time with 5kg payload at 120km/h average speed.

best regards
Ferdinand

Av8Chuck

If they're out of the consumer drone business then they'll be out of business. They have already completely pulled out of the commercial drone business, the only product they sell is the SOLO, a consumer drone.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
we'll see, Hoverfly left the flight control business to have a go at serving government agencies and the military where the contracts have a lot more zeroes at the ends of the numbers.

it's still amazing to me that nobody can or seems to want to put a credible challenge together for DJI. the SOLO is basically a Phantom 2 with a couple of software tricks, how does a company with so much funding accomplish that and thinks it's acceptable??

Old Man

Anyone that tries to compete with DJI will find themselves undersold as soon as their pricing structure becomes public. DJI will reduce the prices of their product in a heartbeat, no matter how low that has to be, to assure their stuff outsells the competition. Look at the prices on 3DR's current clearance sale pages and compare them to normal pricing to see how large the margins are in this hobby.

cootertwo

I agree with Old Man. The big boys will sell their stuff at below cost, if that's what it takes to cut the competition out of the equation. Same thing with computers, (Gates vs Jobs), cell phones, cars, whatever. I am in the process of putting together one of the 2, Y6 kits I got from 3DR. $249 for complete kit, including a pixhawk. Everything needed to fly, except for a transmitter and a battery. The pixhawk alone, used to sell for more than that. Also got 20 Iris+ motors, for $3 each !!!!! A few months back, I bought 2 Iris+ motors, from 3DR, for $29.99 each !!!!! Oh well. Unfortunately it seems 3DR was a passing fad. Sorry Mr Anderson, just my 2 cents worth.

FerdinandK

The year is almost over and we can check now ...
well not 3h but 2,5:

Not 120km/h average speed, but at least I can get 100km/h average speed (with payload):

And finally something to lift:

All the best for 2017
best regards
Ferdinand