Power loss during flight

Bijaz

Noob to quads, although have a fair amount of experience with the Blade MQX under my belt. Just bought a Witespy and have been having a lot of fun with it.! However, I did run into an issue with the quad (Naza FC) all of a sudden losing power midflight and dropping from the sky. I wasn't far away so I don't think it could be a loss of radio signal. The first time it happend, it looked like my battery had been disconnected, and I was doing a lot of spins on the quad, so I figured it was a battery disconnect. However, the second time it happened, the battery was connected fine. I was flying in atti mode the entire time. Any ideas about what happened? I bought the quad RTF with a DX6i Tx/Rx, so I haven't used the DJI assistant software yet. However, I thought that when the NAZA sensed low voltage it was supposed to autoland. I'm going to do some research obviously, but was curious if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

mailman35

you need to use the assistant software to configure the fc.
did you hear the esc's reboot? if so you might have a cold solder joint somewhere thats screwing everything up.

Bijaz

You're right

I was trying to avoid using the assistant, since it had already been configured. I'm going to give it a go.

xavivo

I have the WKM and I experienced the same issue 2 times and was because low battery. Did you check your battery after crash? How long did you fly before the failure?
I discovered that if the battery drop in voltage you lose all the control and the multirotor collapse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Bijaz

I have the WKM and I experienced the same issue 2 times and was because low battery. Did you check your battery after crash? How long did you fly before the failure?
I discovered that if the battery drop in voltage you lose all the control and the multirotor collapse.

The battery appeared to be okay. I flew for about 4 or 5 minutes when it happened. What I might do is just run the quad at low altitude to get to a low battery state and see what happens. What did you do to fix your problem?

xavivo

The battery appeared to be okay. I flew for about 4 or 5 minutes when it happened. What I might do is just run the quad at low altitude to get to a low battery state and see what happens. What did you do to fix your problem?

All my problem is that I was pushing the battery to its limits until the battery voltage drops. (I don't have the battery voltage monitor available) So I'm flying with 2 batteries y parallel to get more flying time. (This problem only happens 2 times)
Apart from that all is working excellent.
I would suggest to setup all the settings of the FC.

Hope this helps and Good luck!!! :)

barnytj

I've just experienced a similar problem on a Naza F330.. and this one isn't the battery as I've tried with several.

I built it yesterday and did several 5 minute flights with a GoPro with no problem at all. Then I did another flight and only a minute in and it behaved almost as though it was running out of fuel (stuttering powerloss on and off) until it came down. I checked the connections, and all seemed and then tried again with the same result.

What does a rebooting ESC sound like? If I had a cold solder joint would it not have been apparent immediately? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Dewster

This is probably everyone's biggest fear: a craft dropping from the sky. What's the battery discharge rating on your lipos? Does anyone think that pushing a battery at max would cause a temporary or fatal power loss? I use a power distribution board that has a capacitor to smooth out the flow of electricity. I do think that using batteries in parallel would help reduce or prevent brown outs. You just need to make sure both batteries are charged, exactly the same (& same brand/rating) etc. If you are not careful one battery may discharge into the other if they are not equally charged. The power distribution board that I use is from Photoshipone. They used to sell a kit that had the capicitor with it. Now I think they just sell the distribution board. I also have Afropower distribution board for a future build.

Bijaz

I think I know what the problem is...I'm using a Dx6i and it only happens when I'm far away. I thought the range was 3000 feet ( and it probably is) but I've been flying in a fairly populated area, so my range is probably less. Today I flew several missions, and found that I would lose signal at about the length of a soccer field or two. I also lost contact when I went to high altitude and was able to somewhat recover when contact was established again. Seems like I should be getting better range regardless. Anyways, I assumed that the quad would go into failsafe mode if it lost contact with the transmitter, but I've done a little reading and it doesn't appear that the fail safe mode works with 6 channel transmitters....is that true? Anyways, I'd like to at the very least extend my range and I'm looking at this receiver....would this work with my Dx6i?http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPMAR6210 . I'd really like to do some FPV, but won't go any further until I can get this sorted out. Thanks.

Bijaz

Looks like I have a sub par receiver

I have the AR6100e and I've read you can only expect a 500 feet range on that one.

stpfl

i had also similar experience on a battery on the limit. After Flight i measured about 12% capacity left.

Is this really an issue with ESC? or Dropping Voltage? Resetting of ESC or something like this?
Or just an Failsafe issue where Throttle Stick is down in Failsafe Mode.
thanks

mbsteed

aerial video centric
This sounds like an ESC programming problem if the motors are cutting out because of low battery, your ESCs are probably programmed for lipo rather than NiCAD, those should be set for NiCAD not lipo. That way those don't cut out when you hit low voltage.