Power line inspection

Drone_man2

Hello.

Im going to try taking picture of isolators on powerlines and im going to be 5-7 meters away.

What would you reccomend and why.

1) DJI Inspire/M100 with x5 zoom lens?
2) DJI S1000 with sony a7?

On one hand im thinking the picture quality and stability will be better with an S1000.
On the other hand the I1/M100 is smaller and much more handy

Thoughts?

Area21

Area21
My view is go with the Inspire but a 2 man crew because its safer and the camera person can concentrate on getting the best image.

ProfEngr

There might be a static electricity issue with the electronics on the higher voltage lines. Approach with caution certainly on 230kV and above. The company I'm contracted to has started a program or is at least researching it, but I haven't been able to get any info on their equipment or methods yet.

Glenn Goodlett

I have used an S1000 but I now prefer the Phantom 4 due to the redundancy, obstacle avoidance, and in worst case it's cheap. The photo below is from an inspection of a 115kv gen tie line.

Attachments

• DJI_0120.JPG
    DJI_0120.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 471
Last edited:

Glenn Goodlett

As close as the P4 would get. Maybe 6 feet (2meters). I was incorrect about the line voltage, it is actually a 235 kv line.

Last edited:

JCLs

Little off on meter feet conversion but I really like the result. How does P4 limit proximity? I like limit as I have crashed because of hitting what I was taking pictures of . Flying a QUV540G with a Vector controller. Oh for rough conversions a meter is close to a yard or 3-ft.

KG5BBF AMA#954079

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I would just use a long lens. Why do you need to get 5-7m away? I use the 14-42mm zoom on the inspire. 84mm equivalent on full zoom so you can be 100m away and see see details.

Tavana

I have a hexa copter with zerouav Gemini auto pilot and want to use it for power line inspection.Do you have any special recommendations and precaution that should I done?

John Locke

The Inspire with the new Z3 zoom camera will be stellar for inspection jobs. It's only $900 and takes excellent photos, having glass quality similar to the P4 camera.