Portable Charging Battery Workstation

Ronan

Hey guys, so i have just been made aware that i will not have access to any outlets where i will be working for the next year.

Basically i need a solution, DIY is fine, to quickly charge my lipo's (and maybe even my laptop/iPad) when i am out on the field.

I use 6s lipo's, in the 6000-10000 range, and i have quite a few of them. Now ideally i can go through the day with them, but just in case, i would MUCH prefer a solution to recharge them in the field.

What i think i need:
High quality/performance multi charger & balancer
Power source (motorcycle battery? Solar panel?)
Somekind of case/panel
???

I have seen some (expensive) all in one solutions, but they are in the thousands of dollars, which is simply too much (especially considering they use subpar material).

Please throw me some idea's, links, examples, etc :)

kloner

Aerial DP
with that size lipos, your only gonna get a few charged before that lead acid runs out. You want a regular ac charging system and a generator

jdennings

As an inexpensive solution I use one of these (and similar ones for lower or higher capacity charging) hooked to a pure sine AC converter connected to one or two 75AH lead acid, all in trunk of car. Don't know if pure sine is actually required for these, it just happened I've had one from previous photo equipment. I set the (adjustable) voltage of the AC to 24DC power supplies shy of 25.2V, at around 24.6V or 4.10V per cell to make sure I don't overcharge the lipos, then finish the charging by typically balancing them out on cheap 50w Accucell charger(s), or charging unbalanced if I am in a hurry. By the time the lipos are at 4.1v per cell, a couple amps is all that they will take to finish charging them so I am not loosing time by charging at that rate. I also charge in parralel when 15A (or whatever amperage I am using) is too much for a single lipo and I am in a hurry, I am aware of no-no claims by some on that but it's worked for me when they are the same capacity and brand. I do however always charge the remaining few hundred mah with Lipo specific chargers. I recharge the lead acids hooking them up to the car and running it if need be.

Going from 12DC to AC back to 24DC is not the most efficient but it turns out losses are fairly negligible. DIY and the two stage part is a minus, but it works.

Ronan

with that size lipos, your only gonna get a few charged before that lead acid runs out. You want a regular ac charging system and a generator

I was worried about that... Darn.

As an inexpensive solution I use one of these (and similar ones for lower or higher capacity charging) hooked to a pure sine AC converter connected to one or two 75AH lead acid, all in trunk of car. Don't know if pure sine is actually required for these, it just happened I've had one from previous photo equipment. I set the (adjustable) voltage of the AC to 24DC power supplies shy of 25.2V, at around 24.6V or 4.10V per cell to make sure I don't overcharge the lipos, then finish the charging by typically balancing them out on cheap 50w Accucell charger(s), or charging unbalanced if I am in a hurry. By the time the lipos are at 4.1v per cell, a couple amps is all that they will take to finish charging them so I am not loosing time by charging at that rate. I also charge in parralel when 15A (or whatever amperage I am using) is too much for a single lipo and I am in a hurry, I am aware of no-no claims by some on that but it's worked for me when they are the same capacity and brand. I do however always charge the remaining few hundred mah with Lipo specific chargers. I recharge the lead acids hooking them up to the car and running it if need be.

Going from 12DC to AC back to 24DC is not the most efficient but it turns out losses are fairly negligible. DIY and the two stage part is a minus, but it works.

Ill take a look, thanks!

scotth

Honda EU2000i generator running AC charger on site. Clean, simple, reliable, no tinkering. Charge while I fly and don't think about it.

Ronan

Then i guess i'll have to snag one of those... and a bigger car LOL!

I guess next up is a utility van... :highly_amused:

kloner

Aerial DP
there pretty small and light.... the honda lasts forever and is super quiet. yamaha has a nice one too

Ronan

Great! Can anyone recommend a 'fast' charger (maybe even one that charger's multiple lipo's)? Mine can only charge 1 lipo at a time and takes a long time...

kloner

Aerial DP
any charger can charge multiple battery just by the connector, but low power chargers take forever.

I'd look at icharger duo 406 and a pair of network power supplies if your on the cheap, that icepower thing from uk if you got some money to spend on it. it's dead quiet

Ronan

any charger can charge multiple battery just by the connector, but low power chargers take forever.

I'd look at icharger duo 406 and a pair of network power supplies if your on the cheap, that icepower thing from uk if you got some money to spend on it. it's dead quiet

Thanks bud, i'll take a look and order something.

cdrking

Here's a link to a nice box. http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t773321p1/ There are also plenty of threads on that site about charging stations.

I have a Honda 2000i (actually I have two:tennis:), I also have a Meanwell 2000 watt PS (http://www.progressiverc.com/mean-well-rsp-2000-24-power-supply.html), and an iCharger 308 Duo, (http://www.buddyrc.com/icharger-308-duo.html)

If you are going to be in the hobby for a while then a good power source, power supply and charger system is a great investment.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: