Poor Climb, Scaring Descent

Nielske

Hi All!,

My Phantom2 (loaded with 10*34 props, Motor Extensions, Large Carbon landing Gear, Zenmuse 2D and Gopro) has flown very well over the last year.
It was stable, responsive and silent all the time during many flights.

But now, suddenly, there is a very strange problem...

After a couple of minutes it suddenly climbs to slow, and much worser, sometimes descends to fast with a hard landing at the end!
(Flying in Naza-mode, GPS or ATTI mode)

Today i discoverd, when i give some Yaw during SLOW climbs the Phantom immediately response with a much stronger climb?
Also, when i give some Yaw, during a to fast descend, the descending speed is strongly decreased!

Any ideas whats going wrong here?

Av8Chuck

How many flights on that battery? When you charge the batter and then check it does it get to at least 95%?

I'd start by either trying a different battery and testing your current batteries.

Nielske

Thats an interesting hint. I will check this! I am using 2 battery's at this moment and i believe that there is indeed a difference according to wich battery i use.
But why is there much more power when a little YAW immeditately results in much more power?

Av8Chuck

Its difficult to diagnose problems like this online rather than in person. Usually if things have been going well and for some unexplained reason that changes there's a couple of things you can check, some are relevant to all controllers and others are more controller specific. But if things change one of the first things I check is the power source and when batteries start to go "bad" controllers can do some pretty funky stuff.

The other thing to check, especially for DJI [and especially if you fly attitude or GPS], is that everything is still calibrated correctly.

So I don't have an explanation why they do what they do but if it is a battery issue and the symptoms are resolved with a new battery then I guess it doesn't matter why they do what they do you just need to be aware that things are changing.

Nielske

Thanks... I understand how difficult online diagnoses are, DJI especially...
Both battery's are 98% loaded, charged for arround 40 times (80 flights)
About calibrating:
both IMU (basic and advanced) and sticks are OK
The IMU/Compass values are all nicely in range...
I changed props and gain settings as well

Maybe the YAW function causes this problem because its much more sensitive to stickinput as before?

wstewart

I am also having issues with unstable flight when applying yaw. Last flight seemed to go well for first five minutes or so. Pitch, roll and yaw working well while gently maneuvering around. After five minutes or so, I applied a little yaw and it started acting crazy and then crashed. No damage occurred, so I brushed it off, checked everything including compass, IMU, props, etc. and started again. Did not fly well for the remainder of attempts, so I packed it up for the day. Makes me wonder if the flight controller is heating up as it works good in beginning and then not good after it has warmed up.

By the way, the NAZA M V2 FC worked extremely well when first received and now is not. Thinking about testing the Tarot 690 with a CC3D revolution.