Please recommend programmable drone with camera, under $1,500

max2me

Hi guys,

I'm totally new to drones but this whole field seems very interesting to me :)

I'm looking for a drone that:
- Is fairly stable & easy maneuverable
- Can carry GoPro (if it already doesn't have camera for video recording)
- Has SDK I can use to control it's flight automatically either based on a template or video stream drone will send to the ground station
- Is fun flying when controlled manually
- Within $1,500 budget

I dont have any particular uses in mind but I'm curious about bunch of different applications drones might have and also want to experiment with image recognition.

Phantom Vision 2 seems like a good candidate but I dont think it has an SDK I could tap into.

Any recommendations are appreciated!
Thank you :)

--
Maxim

Last edited by a moderator:

In addition to your MR c/w FC etc. and RC Radio system you would have to add some additional hardware such as the IPad Bluetooth GCS or the following:
http://www.dji.com/product/pc-ground-station. Either way you would have to spend more money beyond the $1500.
The other add-on item is the iOSD module that has a SD card built in to it but you can't remove it and you can't modify the proprietary firmware to do what you are asking.

W. Reimer

PeterLester has hit things pretty dead-on. Perhaps a year from now, you'll be able to accomplish your needs for $1500, but today...I'm guessing around $1800. minimum, realistically $2000-2200.
If you're completely new to the whole concept of multi's, you might be very well served going with something like a Phantom 2 in the short term and use it as a platform to learn to fly proficiently, and to fully understand the capability of the aircraft. Perhaps most importantly, use the next 6 months to understand what it can and can't do. There has been a great deal of hype in the media lately, leading one to think there isn't much that can't be done with a multi. There are some limitations though, and you may find that some of the ideas you have are either not practical, or downright impossible.

The technology is advancing very rapidly in this field...you're sort of at the point where you may want to either jump in and get a start, learn to fly well, while you wait or put the whole idea on the back burner for a year and re-evaluate. Personally, I say Go for it, yesterday if possible. If $1500 is your limit, spend it now, sell it later and move up

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
Personally I would recommend just building one your self... you can buy frames fairly cheaply (Like this: http://shop.flitetest.com/multirotors/anycopter-quad-370-kit/) and just fallow recommended electronics/build video. you can get away with a LOT with a $1500 budget and you would learn a lot more this way instead of buying something that "should" work out of the box... also if you want an FC to mess around with I would go for the APM 2.6 :) http://3drobotics.com/apm/) it has a few useful things like return to home as well as a fully programmable auto pilot.

Hope this helps,
-Ben Skoning

gtranquilla

RadioActive
And yet I see so many DIY types on these forums who jump in to the deep end and struggle......
Check around here for the Team project building thread for valuable insight and support from others.
will save you time and money.

CdA D

Just a heads up. A federal judge has said that we fly Radio Controlled Aircraft and the military fly's drones. I know this is petty, but public perseption is a *****. Respect

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
Just a heads up. A federal judge has said that we fly Radio Controlled Aircraft and the military fly's drones. I know this is petty, but public perseption is a *****. Respect
was just about to add that to my first post... thanks...

Short range I would go with a phantom vision hands down. Anything higher range I would get an F450 kit with zenmuse and such.