Pixhawk running on SKY-Hero Little Spyder

Amerly

Hi Yves,

Since your selling Sky-Hero frames and make some improvement parts for them I have a question for you.

Could you come out with a kit to add strength to SH booms ? They have big play on both axis (even tightened as hell)... I can manage to get motors aligned OK using a large metal rule by twisting them by hand (while fully locked)... It needs to be done each time I fold the frames (Spyder and Spyder 6) and it's a pain... If you don't do that each time you get very poor Yaw authority... I can get motor output as far as 35% (clockwise) and 65% (anti clockwise) for instance... This gives no yaw control since you need full throw just to keep the heading (torque countering)... The SH locking mechanics is bad by design. CF tube with free floating plastic inserts that have both oversized holes sucks. They also wear out quickly (and make things worst)...

Maybe a kit with precise fit boom inserts (aluminium and glued to the CF boom) with tight fit bolts would do the job. A tight locking pin (instead of a treaded bolt) on the rotating axis would be best, using the remaining boom bolt to hold tight that 30 mm frame CF sandwich.

Otherwise SH frames are doomed... Without this kind of mod I will throw them away and fit all the electronics on other frames... Motor alignment is so critical...

All SH users must have the same issues, that should make a lot of customers for you ! I would definitively be the first !

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Amerly,

Yeah, the booms do have some slightly oversized fitting holes which we found, could present a challenge mostly on heavy lift platforms if the motor tilt is in the same direction on 2 or more booms.

We found this could present an issue with yaw on platforms running Pixhawks if the RCOUT channel gets near the lower or upper limit. Resulting in yaw control appearing to be more aggressive in one direction compared to the other.

For example, looking at the flight logs in Mission Planner, if all the CCW motors are near the upper control range but all the CW are near the lower range, motor tilt angles require correction. We work at the motor mount end, not the hub end and using a bubble level, check for the tilt angle. If it's off, then we simply loosen the motor mount screws on one side of the mount and adjust the mount so that it is level. Then tighten the screws.

We find using this method to adjust for incorrect motor tilt works better than the other end since there seems to be a larger range of movement at the motor mounts.

Hope this helps.

Amerly

Well Yves thanks for your input. Yeah 6kg Spyder and 9 Kg Spyder 6 does not have the flight lock i'm looking for.

What you suggest is still an unwanted procedure that so many frames better built does not require. Long preflight chercklist already... Confidence that initial motor alignment goes on is kind of ''basic''.

Without a proper mod comming in the next month I will go Gryphon (already have the superb FZ1000) or Vulcan since theses are lighter, better suited for electronics placement and are stiff as hell !

Anyone with access to a CNC and Solidworks could make theses aluminium boom inserts, locking pins (might even have stock items from McMaster Carr) and proper tight fit bolts... No rocket science here but not worth my time to make since it's a design flaw from Sky-Hero.

Anyone out there willing to chime in for mass production ?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
not familiar with it but it's a hole that is too big for the bolt that passes through it?

see if McMaster.com has what is called a "shoulder washer" that can make up the slack. you might have to drill the hole larger to get a stock shoulder washer that can fit (for a given bolt size)...or I might be completely out my are and misunderstanding what it is that you guys are talking about! that's the chance i take when i go browsing new threads after my morning coffee!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-spacers/=uncue5

bart

not familiar with it but it's a hole that is too big for the bolt that passes through it?

It's not too big but a bit of play. Haven't had any issues which couldn't be corrected with minor adjustment as part of the tuning phase.
@Amerly, I'm not a fan of thin CF booms (i.e. Gryphon) nor boxy aluminum arms and radical designs. Simple is better and large tubes do NOT flex.

As far as not having the flight lock you're looking for, which FC are you running ?

Amerly

Thanks Bart,

That's exactly what I need to insert into both the CF boom tube and CF frame ! No metal one on this link but I will search...

As long as boom and frame are tighly secured to each other (at least on the pivot axis) it's fine as for motor alignment... I might even drill the SH boom plastic insert to the proper lenght and diameter to insert theses on both sides (permanent)... Theses are never removed so it's not going to be an issue for folding procedure...

Amazing what a guy can figure out in the morning with a coffee ;-) You make my day !

Yves i'm using SuperX... Rock solid on other frames I fly...

beo1329

Hi All,

could you please share your Pixhawk settings that you use on the Little Spyder? I'm interested especially in the pids/gains.

Thanks in advance.
Tamas